Honesty is a dying virtue for college students

Let’s face it. Honesty doesn’t exist, especially within the academic community. There is always some degree of cheating, whether it is writing answers on your arm or buying last year’s test from your friend. Signing the honesty policy for each exam seems to have little effect on the intellectual integrity of students.
I have been at this school for only a year and three times someone’s eyes have wandered toward my exam paper. Strangely enough, each of them mentioned to their friends before the test that they hadn’t studied. I was so fortunate to have them sitting right next to me. I let them look at my exam, out of pity, yet I wonder how they really did, considering my scantron was always covered and I always selected the wrong answers on my test booklet. Clearly justice can be served where integrity is limited!
I am not Miss perfect, but I do not resort to cheating. I am content with failing all by myself. After all it’s my fault isn’t it? I had three weeks to study. So I wonder why students are afraid to fail if they are at fault-is it worth it? Clearly it is worth it if the honesty policy has no effect on their conscious or status at UM. If anything we are continuously rewarded for our efforts to cover up our shortcomings. Take one of our own football players last year who was exempt from honesty so that he could help win the national championship this year.
Even the hardcore brainiacs can be deceptive. I really don’t understand who would pay thirty grand per year to cheat and lose brain cells because of their perception of academic integrity. Is it the fear of failure? Social pressures? Self-standards? Who knows and who cares. Maybe when we stop endorsing ways to boast our “intelligence,” we will find comfort in our own ideas and failure.

Marquita K. Bell is a sophomore majoring in print journalism and political science.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...