Culture

Entertainment News

8 Mile, the first film starring contentious white rapper Eminem, gave a kick in the groin to its competition and hit the No. 1 spot at the North American box office, selling $54.5 million worth of tickets. Moreover, the movie’s soundtrack, produced by the artist, also topped the U.S. pop charts. This white mutha’s on a roll.

After taking a hiatus from touring with the Grammy-winning Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers, Bob Marley’s first-born daughter, Cedella Marley, decided to take up fashion. She presented her clothing line, Catch A Fire, for Caribbean Fashionweek in Kingston, Jamaica last Saturday. She hasn’t had any formal training as a designer and emphasizes a denim and urban theme in her wear.

Police fans might want to head to New York because the rock group that originated songs such as “Roxanne” and “Message in a Bottle” will reunite for one last show next year. Stewart Copeland, the band’s ex-drummer, announced at a news conference in Milan where he was performing with Stewart Copeland’s Orchestralli: “I am a dinosaur of rock. We’re going to get together again after nearly 20 years.” Sounds a little haughty, but the Police will play at an induction ceremony in March to inaugurate itself as well as AC/DC, Elvis Costello, the Attractions and the Clash into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

A herd of 10,000 fans broke into pandemonium after assembling in Vancouver to see Guns ‘N’ Roses for their first tour together in nine years and, not surprisingly, lead singer Axl Rose didn’t appear. Promoters called off the concert an hour before it was supposed to begin and rapacious goers began shouting, “Bullshit, bullshit.” At 7:30 p.m., the mob of people then rushed the front gates of the arena demolishing the doors, shattering ticket booth windows and setting off fireworks. Police wrestled for peace with pepper spray, attack dogs and batons. Rose was held up in a late flight and will play in Tacoma, Washington next.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...