dvd review: “Mr. Show” ***1/2

A blank page is a lot to work with. The minds of Bob Odenkirk and David Cross spawned “Mr. Show,” a series that spanned four seasons on HBO. With the show long since cancelled, the new DVD “Mr. Show: The Complete First and Second Seasons,” is probably the only way to catch a glimpse of these guys in action (unless you want to spend a sleepless week trying to download their permanently-delayed film Run Ronnie Run, or luckily catch a random rerun at 3 a.m.). The disc comes with the standard features of any DVD: directors’ commentary and so on.

“I suffer from Entitilitus!” seems an apt way to open the premiere episode, and this review as well.

Each episode is strung together, sort of how “Seinfeld” based each episode around one underlining joke, except this time it’s more quirky, sarcastic, trippy and literal. There are about ten shows in each episode, well-suited for its sketch comedy format. To start an episode in the Senate is one thing, but to have it lead to a man getting sucked off by a milking machine is another. Then to have it all lead back to the Senate, and finally (after going down every ally imaginable), to Bob and David laughing at the whole thing as it appears on a TV: well, that’s “Mr. Show”. “Goddamn it! Sh*t! F**k!” accompanied by a blue mascot named “Pit Pat” that “loves you.” Does this seem like an apt way to make a commercial? Well it got your attention, right? That is what Bob and David are all about.

The fact that the show was based around two actors/comedians hopping around, gives it a sort of thrown-together feel. The other actors who appear in “Mr. Show” are close friends of Bob and David, and several of them had a hand in the writing. Refreshing as it is to see a show run entirely by its tight-knit cast, it is also the reason why the show got cancelled and their film Run Ronnie Run never got released. Not everyone wants to hear what these two guys have to say all the time; otherwise one of them would be writing their own review.

The two-disc DVD set “Mr. Show: The Complete First and Second Seasons” is available everywhere you can rent/buy Collateral Damage.
For more info visit www.bobanddavid.com

Sven Barth can be reached at big_sven@hotmail.com.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...