‘Canes 1 up, 1 down over the weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team bounced back from a grueling five-game loss to Pittsburgh with a win over West Virginia Sunday in Morgantown, W. Va.
The Hurricanes (22-4, 8-3 in Big East Conference play) cruised in all three games winning 30-19, 30-23, 30-24. The Mountaineers fell to 9-18, 3-9.
“It was great to see us bounce back,” said coach Nicole Lantagne Welch. “We really came ready to play. This was the most prepared I’ve seen us coming into a match. I was great to see our team so focused and determined.”
UM was led by senior outside hitter Marcella Gamarra, who had a match high .406 hitting percentage and 15 kills. Gamarra also led the Hurricanes in digs with 10. Lantagne Welch noted that sophomore outside hitter Biz Tyson also had a solid game, chipping in 11 kills and just one error.
The Hurricanes were also strong along the net. Robin Lewullis had six blocks in all, while Valeria Tipiana and Karla Johsnon each had five.
Friday, the Hurricanes were edged in a five-game match by Big East stalwart Pittsburgh Friday night on the Panthers’ home court.
After falling in the first game 30-26, the Hurricanes stormed back with twin 30-28 wins before losing the fourth game 30-26.
In the final game, the Panthers prevailed by a hair’s breadth, winning 15-13 and taking the match.
Pittsburgh’s Megan Miller, who tallied a match high 28 kills, harried the Hurricanes throughout the match. UM was led by sophomore outside hitter Valeria Tipiana who generated 21 kills. Libero player Jamie Grass led UM on defense with 19 digs.
The Hurricanes hope that Sunday’s victory will result in renewed confidence going into a tough home match against Notre Dame. The Irish are undefeated in conference play and are traditionally one of the stronger teams in the Big East.
-Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...