‘Canes 1 up, 1 down over the weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team bounced back from a grueling five-game loss to Pittsburgh with a win over West Virginia Sunday in Morgantown, W. Va.
The Hurricanes (22-4, 8-3 in Big East Conference play) cruised in all three games winning 30-19, 30-23, 30-24. The Mountaineers fell to 9-18, 3-9.
“It was great to see us bounce back,” said coach Nicole Lantagne Welch. “We really came ready to play. This was the most prepared I’ve seen us coming into a match. I was great to see our team so focused and determined.”
UM was led by senior outside hitter Marcella Gamarra, who had a match high .406 hitting percentage and 15 kills. Gamarra also led the Hurricanes in digs with 10. Lantagne Welch noted that sophomore outside hitter Biz Tyson also had a solid game, chipping in 11 kills and just one error.
The Hurricanes were also strong along the net. Robin Lewullis had six blocks in all, while Valeria Tipiana and Karla Johsnon each had five.
Friday, the Hurricanes were edged in a five-game match by Big East stalwart Pittsburgh Friday night on the Panthers’ home court.
After falling in the first game 30-26, the Hurricanes stormed back with twin 30-28 wins before losing the fourth game 30-26.
In the final game, the Panthers prevailed by a hair’s breadth, winning 15-13 and taking the match.
Pittsburgh’s Megan Miller, who tallied a match high 28 kills, harried the Hurricanes throughout the match. UM was led by sophomore outside hitter Valeria Tipiana who generated 21 kills. Libero player Jamie Grass led UM on defense with 19 digs.
The Hurricanes hope that Sunday’s victory will result in renewed confidence going into a tough home match against Notre Dame. The Irish are undefeated in conference play and are traditionally one of the stronger teams in the Big East.
-Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...