‘Canes 1 up, 1 down over the weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team bounced back from a grueling five-game loss to Pittsburgh with a win over West Virginia Sunday in Morgantown, W. Va.
The Hurricanes (22-4, 8-3 in Big East Conference play) cruised in all three games winning 30-19, 30-23, 30-24. The Mountaineers fell to 9-18, 3-9.
“It was great to see us bounce back,” said coach Nicole Lantagne Welch. “We really came ready to play. This was the most prepared I’ve seen us coming into a match. I was great to see our team so focused and determined.”
UM was led by senior outside hitter Marcella Gamarra, who had a match high .406 hitting percentage and 15 kills. Gamarra also led the Hurricanes in digs with 10. Lantagne Welch noted that sophomore outside hitter Biz Tyson also had a solid game, chipping in 11 kills and just one error.
The Hurricanes were also strong along the net. Robin Lewullis had six blocks in all, while Valeria Tipiana and Karla Johsnon each had five.
Friday, the Hurricanes were edged in a five-game match by Big East stalwart Pittsburgh Friday night on the Panthers’ home court.
After falling in the first game 30-26, the Hurricanes stormed back with twin 30-28 wins before losing the fourth game 30-26.
In the final game, the Panthers prevailed by a hair’s breadth, winning 15-13 and taking the match.
Pittsburgh’s Megan Miller, who tallied a match high 28 kills, harried the Hurricanes throughout the match. UM was led by sophomore outside hitter Valeria Tipiana who generated 21 kills. Libero player Jamie Grass led UM on defense with 19 digs.
The Hurricanes hope that Sunday’s victory will result in renewed confidence going into a tough home match against Notre Dame. The Irish are undefeated in conference play and are traditionally one of the stronger teams in the Big East.
-Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...