‘Canes 1 up, 1 down over the weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team bounced back from a grueling five-game loss to Pittsburgh with a win over West Virginia Sunday in Morgantown, W. Va.
The Hurricanes (22-4, 8-3 in Big East Conference play) cruised in all three games winning 30-19, 30-23, 30-24. The Mountaineers fell to 9-18, 3-9.
“It was great to see us bounce back,” said coach Nicole Lantagne Welch. “We really came ready to play. This was the most prepared I’ve seen us coming into a match. I was great to see our team so focused and determined.”
UM was led by senior outside hitter Marcella Gamarra, who had a match high .406 hitting percentage and 15 kills. Gamarra also led the Hurricanes in digs with 10. Lantagne Welch noted that sophomore outside hitter Biz Tyson also had a solid game, chipping in 11 kills and just one error.
The Hurricanes were also strong along the net. Robin Lewullis had six blocks in all, while Valeria Tipiana and Karla Johsnon each had five.
Friday, the Hurricanes were edged in a five-game match by Big East stalwart Pittsburgh Friday night on the Panthers’ home court.
After falling in the first game 30-26, the Hurricanes stormed back with twin 30-28 wins before losing the fourth game 30-26.
In the final game, the Panthers prevailed by a hair’s breadth, winning 15-13 and taking the match.
Pittsburgh’s Megan Miller, who tallied a match high 28 kills, harried the Hurricanes throughout the match. UM was led by sophomore outside hitter Valeria Tipiana who generated 21 kills. Libero player Jamie Grass led UM on defense with 19 digs.
The Hurricanes hope that Sunday’s victory will result in renewed confidence going into a tough home match against Notre Dame. The Irish are undefeated in conference play and are traditionally one of the stronger teams in the Big East.
-Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...