Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
Friday Groove presents the Aaron Katz Band, jamming on the UC patio from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

STEP is sponsoring the Faces of the Homeless Luncheon in the UC Flamingo Ballrooms at 4 p.m. as part of Hunger and Homelessness Week.

Leadership Institute Workshop: Recognizing Your Resources, 12:30 p.m. in UC 237. Lunch provided, call 305-284-6399 to sign up.

WEDNESDAY

Spend your lunch golfing at the Intramural Golf Scramble at the Biltmore Golf Course at noon. Registration is open to everyone within the UM community. For more information contact 305-284-8518 or jcarroll@miami.edu.

Did you miss getting your flu shots last month? Stop by the UC Breezeway between 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. for your free flu shot. Flu shots are also available at the Student Health Center through the remainder of the semester. Visit www.miami.edu/student-health for more information.

THURSDAY

College Republicans will be holding an open forum on US Policy toward Iraq at 7 p.m. in the International Lounge on the UC second floor. The forum will be hosted by Armando Gutierrez Jr. and Edmundo Simon. Panelists include Dr. Moore, political science, and Dr. Sheskin, geography, and several students.

STEP is sponsoring the Empty Bowls Project in the UC Breezeway from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. as part of Hunger and Homelessness week.

The Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos [FEC] will be selling “pan con lechon” at the UC breezeway from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sandwiches will be sold for only three dollars. Call 305-284-6290 for more information.

FRIDAY

STEP is sponsoring Skip-A-Meal in Chartwell’s at 4:30 p.m. as part of Hunger and Homelessness week.

NOVEMBER 16

The Gifford Arboretum is hosting another horticultural workshop and plant diagnostic clinic at the John C. Gifford Arboretum, Biology Department, Cox Science Building. Co-sponsored with Miami-Dade Cooperative Extension Service, the workshop will feature lectures about invasive exotic plants and trees and include a tour of the UM Palmetum. The plant diagnostic clinic, which is free, runs from 8:30 – 10 a.m. The workshop requires a registration fee and is from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., with lunch provided. For more information, contact Derek Artz or Carol Horvitz at 305-284-5364.

SATURDAY

Hurricane Productions presents John Singleton, 8 p.m. @ Gusman. John Singleton is the Director of Boys N the Hood, Poetry, Remember the Time, baby boy, Higher Learning, Rosewood, SHAFT and The Fast and Furious 2. For more information visit www.um-hp.com.

sunday

Want to travel the world, build your resume and make positive differences in the lives of others? Come learn about the Peace Corps in an information session and video presentation from 12 to 1 p.m. in UC 237. For more information, please contact Erin Seiler, Peace Corps Recruiter, at 305-284-5398, eseiler@umiami.edu or room 101 in the Ferr

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...