Students can get published in new Cane ‘Zine

Attention undergraduate writers! Finally, there’s a forum for UM writers of both fiction and non-fiction.
The College of Arts and Sciences plans to offer ENG 306, a new magazine publishing class that will be offered in spring 2003.
The course is open to any student who has taken or has tested out of ENG 105 and will count toward three credits in literature.
ENG 306 students will publish an online literary magazine called Cane ‘Zine, filled with both fiction and non-fiction writing from UM students.
“I’m a cheerleader for the program,” said Dr. Peter Bellis, chair of the English department. “We’ve had literary magazines featuring students’ work in the past, but they’re always started by junior or senior students.
“As soon as they graduate, the magazines fall apart. This is a chance to start a continuous publication.”
Margaret Marshall, director of English composition, had the idea last year to start a class for the UM 75th anniversary that published a print edition of the Arts and Sciences magazine.
According to those involved in the project, over 80 students submitted work and the abundant interest in the course led the department to try a more versatile publication this year online instead of a print version.
“We decided to make it web-based because of the low cost,” said Gina Maranto, who will be teaching the class next semester. “Also, the web makes it available to an international audience. There are print-based journals like the Canyon River Review and the Mississippi Review from other universities. We can be the same, only on the web.”
Recently, Maranto received an A+ on her evaluation from students on the website myProfessorSucks.com.
According to the course description book for the English Department, one of the objectives of the course is to introduce students to the process of editorial development and layout and design of both magazine and internet publishing.
“I’m from a magazine background, so this is perfect for me,” Maranto said.
Many students wonder why there wasn’t an undergraduate magazine at a university of this size.
“We tell students that they’re part of a community of thinkers and writers, but what does that really mean?” Maranto asked. “Professors publish the results of their work, but often, students do their work and it is all but invisible.”
The class also gives interested students a chance to work hands-on in all aspects of the publishing environment, including editing, researching, writing, rewriting, fact checking and web publishing, as well as layout and design.
The magazine will be published every spring; however, if the magazine gets a strong response, the department will consider running the class every semester.
“I’m looking forward to the opportunity for students to contribute and put their work out into the world,” Bellis said.
Cane ‘Zine is also part of an effort to boost UM’s status as a research institution.
Any UM student can, and is encouraged, to submit writing for publication in the magazine.
Students can submit non-fiction work directly to Professor Maranto via e-mail at glmaranto@earthlink.net.
Fiction and poetry writers should contact Fred D’Aguiar or Maureen Seaton of the Creative Writing Program.
For more info on the class itself, visit the English Composition website at http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,8543-1;14700-3,00.html.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at j.lisenby2001@yahoo.com.

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...