News Briefs and Campus Calendar

TODAY

Want to work and study at the Cannes International Film Festival or learn the Hollywood terrain one on one? Be part of The American Pavilion/Kodak Student Filmmaker Program or The American Pavilion’s L.A. Intensive Program. For more information please come to the meeting at 11 a.m. in Wolfson Studio 1008A. Representatives from The American Pavilion will be discussing student programs and answering questions. You may also visit the web site at www.ampav.com, then link to Student Program or L.A. Intensive.

Friday Groove proudly presents the funky New Orleans band, John Cleary & the Absolute Monster Gentleman, from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. on the UC Patio.

NOVEMBER 10

La Pena Cafe – The La Casa Cultural Coffeehouse. Attention ALL UM students: enjoy a free open-mic night with live performances, snacks and Starbucks beverages in the PRC classrooms at 7 p.m. Calling all poets, musicians, writers and bands. Sign up at the Pearson front desk for a time-slot to perform. Call up Pearson at extension 8-4211 with any questions.

NOVEMBER 11

It’s almost time for academic advising for the spring semester. Undergraduates should make appointments to see their faculty advisors Nov. 4 through 15. Even if you use the EASY system, you should consult an academic advisor. Registration for the spring semester will begin on Nov. 11. Courses for spring 2003 are already listed on the EASY system, so you don’t have to wait for the printed books to come out.

College Republicans will hold a general meeting to discuss election results and involvement opportunities at 5 p.m. in UC Flamingo Ballroom B. Call Armando Gutierrez, Jr., at 305-525-8833 for details.

STEP is sponsoring a Sleepout at the Rock at 8 p.m. as part of Hunger and Homelessness week.

Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) is holding their general meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the International Lounge of the UC. Enjoy light refreshments while you listen to special guest speakers. Everyone is welcome to attend.

NOVEMBER 12

Friday Groove presents the Aaron Katz Band, jamming on the UC patio from 11:30 a.m. till 1:30 p.m.

STEP is sponsoring the Faces of the Homeless Luncheon in the UC Flamingo Ballrooms at 4 p.m. as part of Hunger and Homelessness Week.

NOVEMBER 13

Spend your lunch golfing at the Intramural Golf Scramble at the Biltmore Golf Course at noon. Registration is open to everyone within the UM community. For more information contact 305-284-8518 or email jcarroll@miami.edu.

NOVEMBER 14

College Republicans will be holding an open forum on the War in Iraq at 7 p.m. in the International Lounge on the UC, second floor. The forum will be hosted by Armando Gutierrez Jr. and Edmundo Simon and will consist of three faculty members and three students who will discuss and answer questions on the proposed war.

STEP is sponsoring the Empty Bowls Project in the UC Breezeway, from 10a.m. – 3 p.m. as part of Hunger and Homelessness week.
NOVEMBER 15

STEP is sponsoring Skip-A-Meal in Chartwell’s at 4:30 p.m. as part of Hunger and Homelessness week.

NOVEMBER 20

Join Cane Cares for a nutrition tour at Stanford Dining Hall between 7 and 8 p.m. For more information please contact 305-284-6524.

NOVEMBER 21

Before the Miami vs. Pittsburgh game, all UM students with a Cane card are invited to a free tailgate party courtesy of the U.S. Army. Feast on Hooters wings, Big Cheese pizza and drinks from 4-7 p.m. at Tailgate Lot E4, located across the street from the Gate 7 Student Entrance on the corner of NW 4th Street & NW 14th Avenue. For information contact Beth Cunningham, Hurricanes’ Corporate Sales Assistant at 305-284-5973.

CORRECTION:
In the Nov. 5 issue of the Miami Hurricane, Andrea Wagner was quoted as saying: “We have to keep in mind that there are families in the area that have kids who they may not want be exposed to unruly college students. . . I know I am personally annoyed and offended by some of the drunken college students who live in my apartment complex.” Her quote was not in any way meant to suggest that she is against city approval for the building of the University Village.

Students Together Ending Poverty (STEP) is sponsoring Hunger and Homelessness Week on the UM campus starting Nov. 11.

The College of Arts & Sciences and the Department of Art and Art History present an on-campus outdoor art installation titled The Sky Above Us, Nov. 15-27, created by artists and architects Roberto Behar and Rosario Marquardt. The installations will be located in three locations: the Palm Court on Memorial Drive, the lawn between the Ashe Building and the Memorial Building and the Horseradish Tree along the walkway from Palm Court up to Memorial Building. A reception for the artists will be held 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., Friday, Nov. 15 at the Palm Court. Their work spans from painting to the urban realm and melds the boundaries of architecture and the visual arts. Admission is free. For more information, call 305-284-2542.

The Pearson Book Club brings us Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring, the first volume of JRR Tolkien’s trilogy. For just a $5 deposit, sign up at the Pearson Front Desk and receive a copy of the book. Meet on Sunday, Nov. 24 at 6 p.m. in Apartment 137 (across from the Front Desk) to watch the movie and have some Chinese food. Then hang around for a discussion of the movie and book with dessert. Please don’t sign up if you can’t make the dinner. Books won’t be given out after Nov 20. If you already have a copy of the book and just want to attend the dinner and movie, you don’t have to put down $5. This event is open to all students at UM as well.

Due to the construction work at the Convocation Center, the west end of Walsh Avenue will be closed for approximately three weeks. The Serpentine Lot will not be accessible from the east end of Walsh Avenue (close to Merrick Drive). The gate on Dickinson Drive will be left open with a security guard stationed to control access into Dickinson Drive. If you should have any questions or concerns, contact Eddie Lopez at 305-284-6184.

UM IQ Show #6: Greeks versus Pearson by Rachel Brill, Terri Maloney and Joshua Johnson, broadcast May 1, 2002 on UMTV Channel 24, received a 2002 College Broadcasters, INC. (CBI) award for “Best Technical Production.”