“Hotcakes69” on the joy of Internet anonymity

Communication was once an art, requiring much practice and experience to perfect. We’ve carelessly downgraded it to a common side-effect involved in the pursuit of our motives and personal agendas. Thus are the times of high-speed Internet technology.
The old excuse that “the dog ate my homework” has been substituted with “the server was down.” What is it with this Internet infatuation? And could it be remotely possible that all our new technological advancements aren’t necessarily for the best? Do we even know how to communicate like people anymore, when not hidden behind the 32 bit graphics of our personal computers in the security and comfort of our own living rooms?
It seems “man’s best friend”, the lap dog, has been replaced by “man’s best friend” – the laptop. Our emotions only have to be as deep as little yellow smiley faces and we can lol even if when we’re not smiling. Is this new frontier of business and personal communication really better than the traditional phone call or face-to-face meeting? Is the intrinsic value of human interaction being completely eliminated by the sterile simplicity of high-speed Internet access?
It certainly feels a lot safer to spill your guts to a sympathetic stranger in a chat room, someone who only knows you as “hotcakes69” and who won’t see you in class or at work tomorrow morning, but think about what these innovations mean for society and the sentiment involved in interpersonal communication in its most traditional sense. What happens when the lines of communication become so homogenized that they begin to blur together? Will we accidentally slip into the nonchalant dialect so prevalent and acceptable in email correspondence?
Increased reliance on Internet communication will ultimately lead to the decrease and consequent extinction of interpersonal skills as we once knew them to be. I worked in an office this summer where my manager would actually email directions to us – from three desks down! We’re becoming so attached to the shelter provided by this one-sided communication that we’re forgetting how to communicate without it. In email, you can type and delete until you write the perfect response to a future employer – on the phone or in person, that luxury doesn’t exist. There is no spell check for bad grammar in a job interview. Not to mention, that as you’re reveling in the ability to find anyone, anytime, anywhere, they can also find you. Enough said. I’ll have my server contact your server.
Whitney W. Friedrich is a senior.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...