Campaign plagued by incompetent politicians

With the Election Day hoopla over with for another two years, let me speak for many by breathing a sigh of relief!
I think the fear that Florida would mess up once again and become yet another national spectacle outweighed the actual election itself.
Does anyone else feel like they’re getting to be too big of a deal, especially at the consequence of other, vastly more important issues being pushed to the wayside? The first year of a new candidate’s year in office is all about the election aftereffects and inauguration. The last year, if it’s the candidate’s first term in office, is devoted to rallying and gaining support for reelection. If it’s the last year of a candidate who’s already been in office for two terms, then it’s spent on what incumbent they’re endorsing. And then there’s the irony that the whole debacle of the election overshadows the job they’re trying to run for in the first place. Add the time in government it takes to do anything, and you virtually get a big fat nothing accomplished.
Just look at the recent chaos of the Haitian immigrants who ran ashore on the causeway last week. Within hours, the headline was not, how are we going to deal with this situation, but rather the controversial law that Jeb Bush’s presidential sibling George W. passed to require that illegal Haitian immigrants be returned to their country immediately. So what did Bush do? He raced to say that he does not totally keep with his brother’s decision, in order to not offend Haitian protest groups, and risk losing precious votes. McBride wasted no time in calling radio stations and sending out letters supporting the Haitian migrants. In South Florida, it’s all about pleasing as many minority groups as possible to get those votes, isn’t’ it? It’s just one big political maneuver. All of this overlooks the main problem: why these people risked their lives in the first place by leaving their country to seek a better life in ours.
Regardless of these serious problems going unsolved in the wake of elections, I grow sick of constantly hearing about campaigning, rallying, press releases and the like. There needs to be much less time devoted to the tired election process, and more to the actual pressing issues that mean something. If the governor is so damn busy with all of this reelection business, I want to know who is running the state of Florida and dealing with all of the real things that need attention. Because from where I stand, mixing it up at high-profile celebrity-magnet banquets night after night sure as hell doesn’t constitute governing a whole state to me.
Derek Bramble is a senior majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Theatre.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...