Sports Briefs

Craig Kilborn Show
All Hurricane fans should watch CBS’ “The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn” Wednesday night at 12:35 a.m. (Early Thursday morning). Kilborn will salute the Hurricane football team, picking them to beat Tennessee on Saturday. The set will be decorated with UM paraphernalia, and Kilborn will incorporate his signature comedy segments specifically to Miami. The guests for Wednesday night’s UM salute are actress Peri Giplin, singer/actor Joey Fatone and Melissa Etheridge.

UM Cross Country
University of Miami junior Matt Mulvaney (South Hadley, MA) finished 20th with a time of 24.44 to lead the Hurricanes men’s cross country team to an 11th-place finish (285 points) out of 14 at the Big East Cross Country Championships in Boston, MA.
Mulvaney’s 20th-place finish marked the highest for a UM runner at the Big East Championships. Mulvaney has now been UM’s top finisher in four consecutive races.
The Hurricanes also received a strong performance from senior Dan Boniface (Seattle, WA) who placed 38th completing the 8,000-meter course in a time of 25:30. Freshman Alex Brutvan (Boca Raton, FL/Pope John Paul II), competing in his first Big East Championship, finished 51st with a time of 25:56.
Villanova recorded 39 points to win the Big East title for the first time since 1993. Providence finished second (49 points) while Georgetown took third (55 points).
The UM women’s cross country team did not fare as well. Senior Melissa Norris (Pembroke Pines, FL/Flanagan) finished 71st with a time of 23:44 to lead the University of Miami women’s cross country team to a 13th-place finish (397 points) at the Big East Cross Country Championships in Boston, MA.
Notre Dame (69 points) won its first Big East Championships finishing one point ahead of Georgetown (70 points).
The Hurricanes had seven runners finish in the top-100 including sophomore Marilyn Ruiz who finished 78th (24:21), senior Patricia Pearson who finished 80th (24:29), junior Christian Delgadillo who placed 83rd (24:56), senior Terria Madiso who finished 85th (25:01), senior Saraque Whittaker who placed 87th (25:13) and freshman Melanie Schultz who finished 90th (25:34).

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...