Sports Briefs

Craig Kilborn Show
All Hurricane fans should watch CBS’ “The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn” Wednesday night at 12:35 a.m. (Early Thursday morning). Kilborn will salute the Hurricane football team, picking them to beat Tennessee on Saturday. The set will be decorated with UM paraphernalia, and Kilborn will incorporate his signature comedy segments specifically to Miami. The guests for Wednesday night’s UM salute are actress Peri Giplin, singer/actor Joey Fatone and Melissa Etheridge.

UM Cross Country
University of Miami junior Matt Mulvaney (South Hadley, MA) finished 20th with a time of 24.44 to lead the Hurricanes men’s cross country team to an 11th-place finish (285 points) out of 14 at the Big East Cross Country Championships in Boston, MA.
Mulvaney’s 20th-place finish marked the highest for a UM runner at the Big East Championships. Mulvaney has now been UM’s top finisher in four consecutive races.
The Hurricanes also received a strong performance from senior Dan Boniface (Seattle, WA) who placed 38th completing the 8,000-meter course in a time of 25:30. Freshman Alex Brutvan (Boca Raton, FL/Pope John Paul II), competing in his first Big East Championship, finished 51st with a time of 25:56.
Villanova recorded 39 points to win the Big East title for the first time since 1993. Providence finished second (49 points) while Georgetown took third (55 points).
The UM women’s cross country team did not fare as well. Senior Melissa Norris (Pembroke Pines, FL/Flanagan) finished 71st with a time of 23:44 to lead the University of Miami women’s cross country team to a 13th-place finish (397 points) at the Big East Cross Country Championships in Boston, MA.
Notre Dame (69 points) won its first Big East Championships finishing one point ahead of Georgetown (70 points).
The Hurricanes had seven runners finish in the top-100 including sophomore Marilyn Ruiz who finished 78th (24:21), senior Patricia Pearson who finished 80th (24:29), junior Christian Delgadillo who placed 83rd (24:56), senior Terria Madiso who finished 85th (25:01), senior Saraque Whittaker who placed 87th (25:13) and freshman Melanie Schultz who finished 90th (25:34).

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...