news briefs

Is hip hop violence back on track after the 2Pac and Biggie tragedies? Run-DMC member Jam Master Jay was murdered on Oct. 30 while working in a New York studio. Police are still investigating the crime, but the funeral service will be held today in Queens. Moreover, three days after Jay’s death, a rap music promoter, Keneth Walker, was mysteriously shot and killed.

The city of vice is the backdrop for this season’s new TV Show, CSI: Miami, which decided to run their sniper episode despite the tragic events in D.C. The story focuses on a forensics team looking for an attacker shooting innocent victims from a Miami high-rise. Eye execs okayed the episode date for Nov. 18 after the alleged snipers, John Allen Muhammad and John Lee Malvo, were arrested. CSI: Miami is the highest rated new show this season and ranks fifth among all prime-time programs.

Howard Stern, E!’s shock jock with a puckish taste for the publicly unmentionable, is executive-producing a remake of the crude 1980s teen sex comedy, Porky’s. He also plans on overseeing an updated version of 1979’s Rock ‘n’ Roll High School. “As a producer, and being immature, obviously [these films]give me the opportunity to bring more stupidity and childishness to a whole new generation,” Stern said in a statement. He added: “If I say to an audience, particularly my audience, this is ‘Howard Stern Presents…,’ it means something to them. It means that it’s going to be crazy. It means it’s going to be different, and they know I’m not going to be giving them any schlock.”

After Metallica’s frontman James Hetfield returned “fully recovered” from rehab, saying that the experience was “challenging” and “gratifying”, the group is currently choosing among 30 recorded songs for their new album, which they expect to finish in January and which might be released in late spring. They also still haven’t replaced their bassist and producer Bob Rock played the basslines during recording.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...