Native American Month celebrates Miccosukee heritage

Buffalo Tiger, former chief of the Miccosukee tribe and author of A Life in the Everglades, and his son, Lee Tiger, will be guest speakers at a presentation on Miccosukee heritage that will be held at the Lowe Art Museum in recognition of Native American month on Thursday, Nov. 7 from 2-6 p.m.
The event is sponsored by the Office of Admissions, the Lowe Art Museum, the Department of Multicultural Student Affairs and the Office of Student Life and the University Center. It was coordinated by the Native American Month planning committee: Carlos Aguirre, Catherine Curry, Mathew Ward, Wendy Wolf and Nanette Vega. Paul Orehovec, the Vice Provost and Dean of Enrollments, and Inca Spirit also contributed to the planning and execution of the preparations.
“I hope that this Native American event will help foster the public’s awareness, understanding and appreciation for the Native American Culture,” said Nanette Vega, assistant director of multicultural student affairs.
According to organizers, the celebration will include a discussion led by Buffalo Tiger and Lee Tiger about the Miccosukee tribe and many of their activities to preserve and inform others of Miccosukee heritage.
A musical performance by Inca Spirit, a tour of the museum led by Dot Downs, Adjunct Curator of the Native American Art, and a question and answer session will also be part of the event.
“I’m looking forward to attending the event so that I can expand my knowledge and understanding of Miccosukee culture,” sophomore Chris Rodriguez said. “I don’t know very much of Native American heritage and see this as an opportunity to learn about aspects of the culture that I may not have been aware of.”
During his presentation, Buffalo Tiger will share how he has fought to maintain the recognition of U.S. Native American tribes and lobbied against Air Force training in the Everglades. He will also discuss how he has helped to develop “eco-heritage tourism,” a concept that strives to encourage national and international tourists to visit the Miccosukee reservation in western Dade County.
Lee Tiger is active in promoting Native American eco-heritage tourism and serves on the Florida Tourism Commission.
“This event is a great opportunity to meet other students on campus with a similar interest,” Vega said.
The event is free and is limited to 100 attendants.
Those who wish to attend may RSVP by contacting the Office of Multicultural Affairs at 305-284-2855.
Kathleen Fordyce can be contacted at K4DICE@aol.com.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...