UM volleyball defeats FAU in three games

After a disappointing Big East Conference loss to Virginia Tech, the University of Miami volleyball team (19-3) bounced back with a convincing 3-0 road win over Florida Atlantic (13-13) Tuesday night in Boca Raton, Fla.

The Hurricanes received a stellar performance from senior outside hitter Marcela Gamarra (Medellin, Colombia), who dealt a match high 19 kills to the Owls. Her hitting percentage of .486 was also a match high.

“Marcela has had several outstanding performances, but this is one of her best ones,” Miami coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “She just comes out to play every match.”

Miami cruised to a 30-22 final in the first game, and then took consecutive wins of 30-28 and 30-21 to seal the contest.

In the second game, the Hurricanes trailed early, but rallied for the win. Lantagne Welch pointed to that particular game as “huge” for her young team, especially in terms of rebounding from the loss to the Hokies in Blacksburg.

“This win was important for our young team,” the coach said. “We were playing on the road against a good FAU team.”

Gamarra was complemented by a solid defensive effort from sophomore libero player Jamie Grass (Manhattan Beach, Calif.), who had a match high 21 digs. Lantagne Welch described Grass’ performance as “her best (since becoming) a libero player.”

“Grass played amazing in this match,” Lantagne Welch said.

The coach also cited the superior play of sophomore setter Mallorey James (Tucson, Ariz.), who chipped in 39 assists in the swift victory.

UM was solid at the net with freshmen middle blockers Robin Lewullis (Allentown, Penn.) and Karla Johnson (Houston, Texas) combining for 11 block assists.

The Hurricanes’ next match is tonight at 7 p.m. when they face St. John’s in a conference match at the Knight Sports Complex. Sunday, they will compete against Connecticut at home at 2 p.m.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...