Promoting war through video games is very wrong

The maniacal push for war on Iraq has just hit a new low. I can handle the media and its Super Bowl-like treatment of the pending war, using such catchy and euphemistic slogans as, “Showdown: Iraq.” In fact, I half expect to see computer images of the two countries smashing into each other a la the football helmets at the beginning of Monday Night Football.

I can also handle the many political games that are currently being played. The blame-game: Korea is Clinton’s fault; Hussein is Reagan and Bush Sr.’s fault. The conspiracy game: Bush wants to distract us from his deplorable domestic failures and his failure to actually persecute the real terrorists who were responsible for 9/11, not to mention that his father stands to make truckloads of money from this war. And the name calling game: if you oppose war, you are a limp wristed liberal sissy who has no grasp of reality, and if you are for war, you are a hardheaded warmonger who lacks the ability to see through government lies.

However, there is one thing I cannot stand. Recently, I saw a commercial for a Play Station game in which the player assumes the role of the American Army and the entire point is to find and kill Hussein. Not only does this game make war seem like a casual, fun thing, it also makes an appalling statement about our culture. To promote war through a medium that is used mostly by young children and teenagers is just plain wrong. It makes a mockery of the real people (not computerized images) who die on both sides of the war, and it teaches children to see the world in the same erroneously polarized way that our government currently sees it.

Maybe it is just because I am one of those limp wristed liberal sissies, but I am sickened by the fact that we are using video games, arguably one of the most important influences on young children, to implant war into their psyches. Not only that, by making war into a game, these children will lose the sense that actual humans are dying.

Or maybe that’s the point. Iraqi citizens aren’t human, right? They don’t feel pain like we do. When their innocent citizens are bombed, they don’t see it as a tragedy because, to let the game tell it, they are simply evil and must be destroyed.

Hopefully, children will not be tricked into this mindset. Hopefully they will not lose touch with the fact that war is ugly or that it involves people, is not always clear-cut, and neither side is ever completely innocent. Above all, I hope that we are not raising a generation of citizens that glorifies war because it is, frankly, nothing worth glorifying.

Travis Atria is a junior majoring in English Literature.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...