Letter to the Editor

I am an advertising major who feels deeply compelled to inform everyone of a serious injustice I encountered while taking advertising classes in the School of Communication. All CAP 202 graphic design classes have been overbooked, forcing students to learn in classrooms instead of computer labs. To supplement computer time the University has been so kind as to schedule us two four-hour block classes on the weekend,essentially forcing some students to drop the course.

Getting to class on the weekend is not as easy as the University may believe. Students have jobs and prior engagements on weekends. Also, by adding supplementarycomputer time, classroom hours have become over-saturated. We are covering the same material as previous years except we have over nine extra classes to learn it, making classes over-repetitive and boring.

Secondly, we are only granted four hours per graphic design program. What can we be expected to take away from one four hour class? This is a graphic design course, so doesn’t it stand to reason that graphic design programs should be at its heart?

Thirdly, since I, among others, cannot retain or learn very much about a program in one four-hour class, we are struggling with assignments. We have been told we can receive help from a lab assistant, but our lab teacher sent an email stating, “unfortunately, it seems that the lab being opened DOES NOT mean the same thing as having a lab assistant or one of us in there to help you. Chances are you won’t have “outside” help a lot of times…First of all, remember what we said in class: there’s no way we could’ve covered all we needed to while in there. Some of it we left for you guys to learn by yourselves.” Is this the reason that tuition here is so outrageous? Obviously this is a serious injustice that the University needs to rectify.

So are the CAP 202 students the only ones who have been cheated? Probably not. What it comes down to is that I fear the people at the top do not make decisions with us in mind; it is time the University goes back to work for students. Why don’t they take that extra few hundred thousand from overbooking and put it into something for students, instead of more landscaping. This institution owes the CAP 202 students an apology and explanation for their tactless decisions.

– Benjamin P. Kerzner, Senior Advertising Major

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...