film review: Bowling for Columbine ****

There has never been a movie as simultaneously moving and funny as Bowling for Columbine. Political activist Michael Moore leads the way, on and off camera, in this documentary, which confronts violence in America and gun control.

Moore gained notoriety for his low budget 1989 documentary Roger & Me, investigating the damage General Motors CEO Roger Smith caused to Moore’s hometown of Flint, Michigan, through his company’s mass downsizing. This time around, Moore takes on an issue that hits closer to home for all of us.

The reason why Bowling for Columbine is so effective is that it perfectly mixes shocking information about gun violence with Moore’s sarcastic sense of humor. Moore is a workingman’s idealist who finds something he wants changed and does everything possible to change it. But in the process, he’s not afraid to make fun of himself, the American public and various political figures.

In Bowling for Columbine, Moore goes beyond a standard gun control debate and examines not why Americans have guns, but why they use them for violence. He finds that Canada has a comparably large artillery, yet its citizens are not afraid to leave their doors unlocked or to walk home in the dark.

Moore’s sense of humor shines when he finds out about the unlocked door trend in Canada. He walks up and down the street, swinging open doors and greeting the people inside. “Thanks for not shooting me,” he quips as he leaves one startled man’s home.

A specifically touching moment is when Moore pairs with two young men injured in the notorious shooting at Columbine High School. He finds that the bullets used in the shooting, some of which are still lodged in their bodies, were bought from K-Mart for 17 cents each. He then takes a trip with the victims to K-Mart’s headquarters, where they try to talk to a supervisor.

After being turned away by person after person, the trio gets discouraged. They end up coming back the next day, but this time they bring the media with them. Moore, followed by an entourage of local press members, confronts various K-Mart staff members while the Columbine victims do interviews with the press. They finally get the answer they’ve been looking for. K-Mart will discontinue the sale of bullets in all of their stores.

Moore is visibly shaken by this. Tears well up in his eyes as he announces victory and hugs his new friends. The persistence of the Columbine victims motivates Moore to attempt his greatest feat yet – an interview with NRA president Charlton Heston.

For years, Heston’s office had denied Moore an interview. Finally, while exiting town, Moore buys a star map and finds his house. He rings the bell, and through an intercom, he asks Heston for an interview, identifying himself as a filmmaker and lifelong NRA member (which he is) who is making a documentary about gun control. Heston unknowingly invites him back the next day, obviously expecting a harmless Q&A by an admirer.

Moore comes back the next morning and is greeted by a cheerful Heston. Moore shows him his membership card and starts a line of questioning that puts Heston more and more on edge. He ends up so shaken that he walks out in the middle of it, leaving Moore still shouting questions behind him.

In the end, it’s not really important whether Moore’s opinions on gun control match those of the viewer. Instead, it’s how he sets up the film, using horrifying footage from Columbine security cameras, a hilarious cartoon sketch of the history of America and a brilliant interview with a surprisingly intelligent Marilyn Manson.

Bowling for Columbine will linger in the minds of viewers for decades as a powerful yet entertaining documentary on gun control. NRA members and Republicans may hate Moore, but he would be the first to invite them to illustrate their points as well as he did in this documentary.

Shawn Wines can be reached at shawnwines@aol.com.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...