Perfect bodies on television create false illusions

I’m so sick and tired of seeing those ridiculous, fake Bowflex commercials, among others, on TV. The ones that have models with perfect bodies and perfect tans, with skin glistening like that’s what you really look like when working out.

They need to run a disclaimer with those advertisements saying that what you see is not normal. It’s obviously not as simple as “work out on me, and you’ll look like this.” The people you see on television “using” the machines did not look like that from the product. Working out is just a part in having a great-looking body, and we sometimes forget that.

There’s a whole variety of things that men and women do to look their best, including steroids, muscle enhancers, diet pills, plastic surgery, and so on, but many people forget that what you eat is as vital to your body’s physical presence as working out and lifting weights is. You simply cannot build a full body without the nourishment your muscles need to grow after you tear and shred them up in the gym.

I also know that you need the right type of exercise suited for your body. For example, I’m skinny so I’m not going to go out and run four miles. It doesn’t help my situation because that only makes me lose more weight when what I want to do is add it on. Don’t get me wrong, cardio is all good, but only when you know how much your body needs. It’s the same thing with lifting weights. Building muscle differs totally from keeping weight on which differs from trying to cut fat and lose that gut.

What’s unfair when you see fitness models and even celebrities looking so damn good is that they have the money to hire a personal trainer who keeps them on the best exercise plan and diet because their jobs depend on it. Most people aren’t required to look good but they want to for whatever personal reasons of their own.

Can you blame them? Especially living in vanity-filled Miami, where all you need to do is look around and see the overabundance of people looking like they just stepped out of a Sports Illustrated magazine. And don’t even get me started on South Beach where the guys are practically popping out of their shirts and the girls can barely keep their skirts on their hips. It’s nice to live somewhere and have so many people looking good and going out and flaunting it. But at the same time, the fact that it’s always in our faces can be frustrating, especially when you see some glossy, mechanical commercial that makes looking good look so damn easy.

Derek Bramble is a senior majoring in Broadcast journalism and Theater.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...