Hurricane volleyball upset by Virginia Tech

The Virginia Tech volleyball team withstood a superior offensive performance by Hurricane outside hitter Valeria Tipiana (Lima, Peru/Cristo Rey Catholic HS) to upset Miami in three games Saturday night in Blacksburg, Va.

“We were just flat and we were never able to pull ourselves out of it,” Miami coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “Virginia Tech played like they wanted it more.

“We lost to a very good Virginia Tech team, but we didn’t play close to the level of volleyball that we’re capable of playing at.”

Tipiana led with a match high 18 kills and a .424 hitting percentage, while the Hokies relied on solid contributions from a number of different players including Ana Lang (15 kills), Ann Spicer (16 kills), and Cheryl Stinson (11 kills). Virginia Tech took the three matches by scores of 30-28, 30-24, 30-25.

Middle blocker Karla Johnson (Houston, Texas/Westfield HS) was second on the Hurricanes in offense with 11 kills and a match high .474 hitting percentage.

Libero player Jamie Grass (Manhattan Beach, Calif./Mira Costa HS) led the Hurricanes defensively with 13 digs, while setter Mallorey James (Tucson, Ariz./Salpointe Catholic HS) chipped in with 41 assists.

The Hurricanes will look to bounce back Tuesday night when they travel to Boca Raton to face Florida Atlantic in the Owls’ facility.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...