Hurricane volleyball upset by Virginia Tech

The Virginia Tech volleyball team withstood a superior offensive performance by Hurricane outside hitter Valeria Tipiana (Lima, Peru/Cristo Rey Catholic HS) to upset Miami in three games Saturday night in Blacksburg, Va.

“We were just flat and we were never able to pull ourselves out of it,” Miami coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “Virginia Tech played like they wanted it more.

“We lost to a very good Virginia Tech team, but we didn’t play close to the level of volleyball that we’re capable of playing at.”

Tipiana led with a match high 18 kills and a .424 hitting percentage, while the Hokies relied on solid contributions from a number of different players including Ana Lang (15 kills), Ann Spicer (16 kills), and Cheryl Stinson (11 kills). Virginia Tech took the three matches by scores of 30-28, 30-24, 30-25.

Middle blocker Karla Johnson (Houston, Texas/Westfield HS) was second on the Hurricanes in offense with 11 kills and a match high .474 hitting percentage.

Libero player Jamie Grass (Manhattan Beach, Calif./Mira Costa HS) led the Hurricanes defensively with 13 digs, while setter Mallorey James (Tucson, Ariz./Salpointe Catholic HS) chipped in with 41 assists.

The Hurricanes will look to bounce back Tuesday night when they travel to Boca Raton to face Florida Atlantic in the Owls’ facility.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...