Effective resume key to scoring dream job

By Karen Overdeck
The Lantern (Ohio State U.)
10/25/2002

(U-WIRE) COLUMBUS, Ohio – Throughout their college years many students spend a great deal of time earning good grades, acquiring internships and joining clubs, all with hopes that when they leave the university prospective employers will be impressed with their accomplishments.
However, when graduating with over 6,000 other people, the competition of being the most qualified candidate for a career opportunity can be grueling.
The most effective way of impressing a potential company is by having an outstanding resume, yet many people don’t know how to correctly compose one.
The Five O’Clock Club, a national career-counseling firm, has dedicated itself to helping individuals in perfecting their resumes. Complete with tips and guidelines, the Club aims to help individual students stand out from the rest.
One recommendation is to begin a resume with something other than educational background.
“Starting your resume with education makes it identical to the resumes of hundreds of thousands of students and recent grads,” said Kate Wendelton, President and Founder of The Five O’Clock Club.
The firm suggests developing an accomplishments-based summary that focuses on the personal experiences that would be of interest to the target market.
The summary should then be followed by a work history, which is a listing of the jobs held and the dates. Finally, finish a resume by detailing education history.
Stephanie Miller, a senior in English, has just begun the often daunting task of writing a resume.
With just a year of experience in her job field, she said she is having a hard time listing her accomplishments in a way that will make possible employers take notice.
“I’m not sure if I should make my resume formal or if I should have some flexibility in the way I write it,” she said.
Although it can be difficult, The Five O’Clock Club believes that using creativity in resumes may help in landing a dream job.
“The average resume is looked at for only 10 seconds,” Wendelton said. Being original in presenting oneself to a company can help “distinguish [yourself]from all the other undergrads in [your]geographic area.”
The Five O’Clock Club is a “members-only” organization.
According to Jared Kreiner, spokesperson for The Five O’Clock Club, the Club has over 8,000 members nationwide.
Along with counsel on building a resume, career coaches from the Club also offer advice on targeting the ideal job, affordable outplacement, interviewing, salary negotiation and job-search strategy.
In addition to founding the Five O’Clock Club, Kate Wendelton is also the author of Kick Off Your Career, an informative book about getting a foothold in the job market.
For more information about writing a resume, The Five O’Clock Club or Kate Wendelton, log on to http//www.FiveOClockClub.com.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...