Guided By Voices empty beer coolers and JD bottles in Fort Lauderdale

As Robert Pollard joyously struggled to stand on his own two feet, he proclaimed, “We are a rock and roll band. We love drinking, smoking, and women.” While the history of rock music is polluted with featherweight bands that have boasted similar contention (often more poetically), very few can or actually want to live the life. Indie rock heroes, Guided by Voices, gave a performance Tuesday night at the Factory in Fort Lauderdale that should have earned them a gold-studded heavyweight belt.

Approximately half an hour after Superdrag finished their 45 minute set, Guided by Voices took the stage accompanied by a two page set list, a blue cooler full of ice and Miller Lite, numerous packs of Camel Lights and three large bottles of Jack Daniel’s. During their performance, barely legal girls approached the side of the stage with six packs of beer for guitarist Nate Farley and bassist Tim Tobias, coveting to get more than a “thank you” smile. In the meantime, frontman Pollard kicked, stumbled, and wildly swung his microphone, while drummer Kevin March and guitarist Doug Gillard adopted a more laid back, focused demeanor.

The assorted crowd (nearly full capacity) seemed to enjoy each inebriated minute of their distinctively epic two hour and 40 minute set. Except for a short intermission and a couple of witty remarks made by Pollard, Guided by Voices played one song after the next, from their numerous EPs and LPs, with consistently remarkable fervor. By the time they left the stage, the cigarette packs, the Jack Daniel’s bottles and the blue cooler were empty.

For more info visit www.guidedbyvoices.com.

Diana Pastrana can be reached at godess_diana@hotmail.com.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...