UM cross country victorious

Miami runners Matt Mulvaney (South Hadley, MA), Dan Boniface (Seattle, WA) and Alex Brutvan (Boca Raton, FL/Pope John Paul II) finished 1-2-3 respectively to lead the University of Miami men’s cross country team to victories over Florida International and Florida Memorial in a three-way dual meet Saturday morning on the UM campus.

Miami, ranked eighth in the South Region by the USCCCA, defeated FIU 19-39 and Florida Memorial 15-46. FIU defeated Florida Memorial 15-56.

Mulvaney, a junior, was the Hurricanes top finisher for the third consecutive race finishing first overall with a time of 25:01. Boniface, a senior, was second (25:13) while Brutvan, a freshman, was third (25:37).

The Hurricanes took five of the top seven spots overall with freshman James Mullaly (Ellicott City, MD) finishing sixth (26:48) and sophomore Bill Bludgus (Bayonne, NJ) finishing seventh (27:07).

For the UM women’s team, Miami sophomore Marilyn Ruiz (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/St. Thomas Aquinas) won her first meet of the season to lead the Hurricanes women’s cross country team to wins over Florida International and Florida Memorial at a three-way dual meet in Coral Gables, FL.

Ruiz, who was UM’s top finisher for the second time in three meets this season, completed the 5,000-meter course in a season-best time of 19:27. Senior Saraque Whittaker (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/St. Thomas Aquinas) finished second with a time of 19:59.

Miami defeated Florida International by a score of 18-49, and Florida Memorial by a score of 15-49. Florida International edged Florida Memorial, 26-30.

Miami had seven runners finish in the top-10 overall including senior Patricia Pearson (Jacksonville, FL) who finished fourth (20:43), senior Megan Dwyer (Havertown, MA) who finished sixth (20:52) and senior Terria Madison (Columbus, GA) who took seventh (20:54).

Freshman Melanie Schultz was eighth (20:59) while junior Christian Delgadillo rounded out the top-10 with a time of 21:19.

Saturday morning’s meet marked the final tune-up for the Hurricanes prior to the BIG EAST Championships, November 1, in Boston, MA.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...