UM cross country victorious

Miami runners Matt Mulvaney (South Hadley, MA), Dan Boniface (Seattle, WA) and Alex Brutvan (Boca Raton, FL/Pope John Paul II) finished 1-2-3 respectively to lead the University of Miami men’s cross country team to victories over Florida International and Florida Memorial in a three-way dual meet Saturday morning on the UM campus.

Miami, ranked eighth in the South Region by the USCCCA, defeated FIU 19-39 and Florida Memorial 15-46. FIU defeated Florida Memorial 15-56.

Mulvaney, a junior, was the Hurricanes top finisher for the third consecutive race finishing first overall with a time of 25:01. Boniface, a senior, was second (25:13) while Brutvan, a freshman, was third (25:37).

The Hurricanes took five of the top seven spots overall with freshman James Mullaly (Ellicott City, MD) finishing sixth (26:48) and sophomore Bill Bludgus (Bayonne, NJ) finishing seventh (27:07).

For the UM women’s team, Miami sophomore Marilyn Ruiz (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/St. Thomas Aquinas) won her first meet of the season to lead the Hurricanes women’s cross country team to wins over Florida International and Florida Memorial at a three-way dual meet in Coral Gables, FL.

Ruiz, who was UM’s top finisher for the second time in three meets this season, completed the 5,000-meter course in a season-best time of 19:27. Senior Saraque Whittaker (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/St. Thomas Aquinas) finished second with a time of 19:59.

Miami defeated Florida International by a score of 18-49, and Florida Memorial by a score of 15-49. Florida International edged Florida Memorial, 26-30.

Miami had seven runners finish in the top-10 overall including senior Patricia Pearson (Jacksonville, FL) who finished fourth (20:43), senior Megan Dwyer (Havertown, MA) who finished sixth (20:52) and senior Terria Madison (Columbus, GA) who took seventh (20:54).

Freshman Melanie Schultz was eighth (20:59) while junior Christian Delgadillo rounded out the top-10 with a time of 21:19.

Saturday morning’s meet marked the final tune-up for the Hurricanes prior to the BIG EAST Championships, November 1, in Boston, MA.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...