Sexual Assault: A Fact Sheet

Wellness Center (305) 284-6524
Counseling Center (305) 284-5511
Student Health Center (305) 284-5927
SART (305) 789-6666
Jackson Memorial Rape Treatment Center (305) 583-RAPE (7273)

Every two minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.

College students are in one of the most vulnerable age groups for sexual assault.

In nine of 10 sexual assault cases, the victim knew the perpetrator.

About four of 10 sexual assaults occur at the victim’s own home.

Two in 10 sexual assaults occur in the home of a friend, neighbor or relative.

One in 10 sexual assaults occur outside, away from home.

About one in 12 sexual assaults occur in a parking garage.

One out of six American women has been victimized by a completed or attempted rape in her lifetime.

Victims of sexual assault often demonstrate self-destructive behaviors such as development of eating disorders, abuse of alcohol and/or drugs, chronic depression and attempted suicide.

Approximately 75% of male college students and 55% of female students involved with acquaintance rape and sexual assault had been drinking at the time.

On a national basis, the probability of a female college student being sexually assaulted over four years is approximately 25%.

Most but not all sexual assaults are perpetrated by men against women.

Rape is often referred to as “the most underreported violent crime in America.” According to the 1999 National Crime Victimization Survey, only 28% of rapes and sexual assaults were reported to law enforcement officials-fewer than one in every three.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...