Sexual Assault: A Fact Sheet

Wellness Center (305) 284-6524
Counseling Center (305) 284-5511
Student Health Center (305) 284-5927
SART (305) 789-6666
Jackson Memorial Rape Treatment Center (305) 583-RAPE (7273)

Every two minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.

College students are in one of the most vulnerable age groups for sexual assault.

In nine of 10 sexual assault cases, the victim knew the perpetrator.

About four of 10 sexual assaults occur at the victim’s own home.

Two in 10 sexual assaults occur in the home of a friend, neighbor or relative.

One in 10 sexual assaults occur outside, away from home.

About one in 12 sexual assaults occur in a parking garage.

One out of six American women has been victimized by a completed or attempted rape in her lifetime.

Victims of sexual assault often demonstrate self-destructive behaviors such as development of eating disorders, abuse of alcohol and/or drugs, chronic depression and attempted suicide.

Approximately 75% of male college students and 55% of female students involved with acquaintance rape and sexual assault had been drinking at the time.

On a national basis, the probability of a female college student being sexually assaulted over four years is approximately 25%.

Most but not all sexual assaults are perpetrated by men against women.

Rape is often referred to as “the most underreported violent crime in America.” According to the 1999 National Crime Victimization Survey, only 28% of rapes and sexual assaults were reported to law enforcement officials-fewer than one in every three.

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Craving a good deli sandwich, four students from New York launch NY Deli, a small business featured ...

A reflection on the unparalleled career of a true public servant, a man respected across the country ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...

Kristyna Frydlova cards five eagles, while a trio of Canes finish top-10. ...

Miami enters the final round in third, while a trio of Canes rank among the top-15 individuals. ...

The Hurricanes came up short in a 28-21 overtime loss to Georgia Tech on Saturday. As they turn thei ...