Sexual Assault: A Fact Sheet

Wellness Center (305) 284-6524
Counseling Center (305) 284-5511
Student Health Center (305) 284-5927
SART (305) 789-6666
Jackson Memorial Rape Treatment Center (305) 583-RAPE (7273)

Every two minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.

College students are in one of the most vulnerable age groups for sexual assault.

In nine of 10 sexual assault cases, the victim knew the perpetrator.

About four of 10 sexual assaults occur at the victim’s own home.

Two in 10 sexual assaults occur in the home of a friend, neighbor or relative.

One in 10 sexual assaults occur outside, away from home.

About one in 12 sexual assaults occur in a parking garage.

One out of six American women has been victimized by a completed or attempted rape in her lifetime.

Victims of sexual assault often demonstrate self-destructive behaviors such as development of eating disorders, abuse of alcohol and/or drugs, chronic depression and attempted suicide.

Approximately 75% of male college students and 55% of female students involved with acquaintance rape and sexual assault had been drinking at the time.

On a national basis, the probability of a female college student being sexually assaulted over four years is approximately 25%.

Most but not all sexual assaults are perpetrated by men against women.

Rape is often referred to as “the most underreported violent crime in America.” According to the 1999 National Crime Victimization Survey, only 28% of rapes and sexual assaults were reported to law enforcement officials-fewer than one in every three.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas