Miami soccer defeated in double overtime

On Friday, the Hurricanes fell in double overtime, 6-5, against cross-divisional opponent Rutgers, Friday, Oct. 18 in Piscataway, NJ. Sophomore forward Britney Butcher opened the game scoring two goals at the 21st and 44th minute of play, giving the Hurricanes a 2-0-halftime lead. Junior forward Vonda Matthews and freshman forward Lindsey Yach were awarded assists on Butcher’s second goal.

However, just over a minute into the second half, Carli Lloyd blasted a free kick past goalkeeper Rachel Elsby cutting Miami’s lead 2-1. Rutgers’ Adrienne Dugandzic tied the game 2-2 at the 50:20 mark, knocking in the equalizer on Lloyd’s cross into the penalty box.

The Hurricanes would retake the lead answering with three consecutive goals in the second half. Senior midfielder Mary Luke beat goalkeeper Christine Caldwell at the 62nd minute of play to give the Hurricanes a 3-2 lead. Miami would take a 5-2 advantage on Matthews’ back-to-back goals, including a blast from 25 yards out and a penalty kick.

However, the Scarlet Knights would make a comeback, scoring three goals in the later stages of the second half to send the game into overtime. Lloyd connected on a pass from Dugandzic at the 76:33 mark to cut the lead, 5-3. Two minutes later Danae Risoli redirected a pass from Dugandzic to the right side, giving the Hurricanes only a one goal lead. Shaban Ashley re-tied the game at 5-5 in the 83rd minute of play on assists from Dugandzic and Risoli.

After a scoreless first overtime period, Rutgers’ Shaban Ashley headed a cross from Risoli into the right side, scoring her second goal of the game and clinching the victory for Rutgers, 6-5. Miami tallied 10 shots, while Rutgers amassed 21. Additionally, Miami was held without a shot in both overtime periods, while Rutgers recorded two in each overtime period.

The Hurricanes were slated to take on Georgetown Sunday afternoon in Washington D.C. However, that game was postponed to a later date. Miami’s record now stands at 9-6-1 with three games remaining before the Big East Tournament.

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...