Miami soccer defeated in double overtime

On Friday, the Hurricanes fell in double overtime, 6-5, against cross-divisional opponent Rutgers, Friday, Oct. 18 in Piscataway, NJ. Sophomore forward Britney Butcher opened the game scoring two goals at the 21st and 44th minute of play, giving the Hurricanes a 2-0-halftime lead. Junior forward Vonda Matthews and freshman forward Lindsey Yach were awarded assists on Butcher’s second goal.

However, just over a minute into the second half, Carli Lloyd blasted a free kick past goalkeeper Rachel Elsby cutting Miami’s lead 2-1. Rutgers’ Adrienne Dugandzic tied the game 2-2 at the 50:20 mark, knocking in the equalizer on Lloyd’s cross into the penalty box.

The Hurricanes would retake the lead answering with three consecutive goals in the second half. Senior midfielder Mary Luke beat goalkeeper Christine Caldwell at the 62nd minute of play to give the Hurricanes a 3-2 lead. Miami would take a 5-2 advantage on Matthews’ back-to-back goals, including a blast from 25 yards out and a penalty kick.

However, the Scarlet Knights would make a comeback, scoring three goals in the later stages of the second half to send the game into overtime. Lloyd connected on a pass from Dugandzic at the 76:33 mark to cut the lead, 5-3. Two minutes later Danae Risoli redirected a pass from Dugandzic to the right side, giving the Hurricanes only a one goal lead. Shaban Ashley re-tied the game at 5-5 in the 83rd minute of play on assists from Dugandzic and Risoli.

After a scoreless first overtime period, Rutgers’ Shaban Ashley headed a cross from Risoli into the right side, scoring her second goal of the game and clinching the victory for Rutgers, 6-5. Miami tallied 10 shots, while Rutgers amassed 21. Additionally, Miami was held without a shot in both overtime periods, while Rutgers recorded two in each overtime period.

The Hurricanes were slated to take on Georgetown Sunday afternoon in Washington D.C. However, that game was postponed to a later date. Miami’s record now stands at 9-6-1 with three games remaining before the Big East Tournament.

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Jim Larrañaga oftentimes told Bruce Brown that his path to a successful NBA career was at the point ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - University of Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced th ...

Emma Langlois and five members of the men's cross country team return to Tallahassee for the NC ...