Mallorey James sets up ‘Cane victories

UM’s Mallorey James pleased to set up volleyball teammates
Sophomore leads team in assists

Mallorey James’s job for the Hurricane women’s volleyball team is not very glamorous. The perks that come with the job, however, like a 17-1 (5-1) record through October 19 and a historic win streak that rivaled our own football team’s are priceless.

James, the sophomore setter for the Big East contending Hurricanes, is in charge of doing much of the dirty work on the court, running after loose balls and setting up others for kills.

“I would describe my position as being the quarterback on the court,” James said. “I have to run the court constantly looking to make assists and help the team win points.”

James currently leads the team in assists, helping other key players like Karla Johnson, Marcela Gamarra, and Valeria Tipiana rack up kills and put away points.

As a freshman last year, James averaged a team-high 9.33 assists per game.

Growing up in Tucson, Arizona, James led her Salpointe Catholic High School team to a 52-match win streak against regional teams and a conference championship. As a senior, James was named the Women’s Volleyball 5A Player of the Year.

Playing for her high school helped James develop a college-level game and provided her with many memorable moments, but she feels that the experiences she has had at UM in her first two seasons have been the highlight of her young career.

“I would have to say that nothing has topped being part of last year’s team,” James said. “It was very exciting and helped me take my game to the next level.”

This season has been a wild ride for the lady ‘Canes. About two-thirds of the way through the season, the Hurricanes held the nation’s longest win streak (26 games) and earned national attention. James attributes the great start to the dedication of this year’s squad.

“We are a very hard working team that spends countless hours in the gym,” James

said. “That’s the dedication every team needs to be successful.”

The only adversity the team has faced this season came after their only loss to

Georgetown. With many skeptics doubting the resolve of these ladies, the ‘Canes were able to bounce back right away and put the loss behind them.

“It was obviously a tough loss but we didn’t take it too hard,” James said. “We knew it wouldn’t ruin what we have done this season so we just got back into the gym and used the match as a learning experience.”

As for the rest of the year James feels that the Hurricanes can make some noise in the Big East and earn more national attention.

“We feel we can contend for the Big East championship,” James said. “We are a strongly unified team and we feel that we have the potential to go deep in the NCAA tournament as well.”

The most important match in the near future for the ‘Canes is against Notre Dame, who is always a threat in the Big East, but James feels that the ladies won’t look past any one opponent.

“Every match is important to us and we are aware of the danger of looking past an opponent,” James said. “We will come equally prepared for every match, taking it day by day.”

Mallorey James serves as a perfect spokesman for the Hurricane volleyball team.

A selfless, hard working player that won’t receive as much attention for her amazing assist totals as others would for kills; she is one of the key components on a team that prides itself on dedication and unity.

You can reach Eric Kalis at elk777bc@hotmail.com.