Hop on to this Joy Ride and you might get when you fall off

The large-scale paintings of Luis Cruz Azaceta’s latest exhibit, Joy Ride, fit well into the vibe of the big white walls and towering ceilings of the Fredric Snitzer Gallery. The space is roomy and clean and does absolutely nothing to detract from Azateca’s work, which is bright and striking and presented here without the benefit of titles or explanations.

Born in Havana, Cuba in 1942, Azaceta graduated from the School of Visual Arts in New York City in 1969. He has been exhibiting his work in the United States, Latin America and Europe since 1971 and his work is in numerous private and public collections including the Museum of Modern Art and The Met in New York as well as the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.

As explained by the artist, Joy Ride is “about the joy and pleasure of painting. To apply paint and manipulate the medium without fear; to let go. To go with the ride…” His gaudy, innerving strokes rush onto each other in colorful swiveling lines and circles, giving an overall impression that this exhibit may be very well inspired by the flamboyant and festive spirit of New Orleans’ Mardi Gras. These paintings are monumental celebrations of color and abstraction. The artist superimposes twirling lines to give a disorienting sense of puzzlement since it becomes difficult to distinguish between the backdrop and the foreground.

Azaceta works in layers on large sheets of canvas or on rough pieces of wood overlayed on top of each other so that areas of the painting push themselves towards you. Many of the pieces are also organic in shape, reminiscent of images of cells or atoms in vivid colors. “Beads (New Orleans)” is a collection of chromogenic prints on wood, clearly depicting the exuberance of the Mardi Gras celebration-the beads, the cups, the noisemakers, the extravagance. One might say that this is a well-chosen exhibit for the gallery to show in October, a month when Miami rejoices Caribbean and Latin American cultures in carnivalesque festivals, as well as human debauchery with Fantasy Fest in Key West.

Joy Ride runs through Oct. 28 at Fredric Snitzer off of Bird Road on 38th Court. For more info, call 305-448-8976.

Patrice Grell Yursik can be reached at rastalove@hotmail.com

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...