UM Volleyball sweeps weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team (17-1, 5-1 in Big East Conference play) took its second straight conference victory Sunday at the Knight Sports Complex, defeating Seton Hall (8-14, 0-4) 3-0.

Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said that she knew the Pirates were among the more dangerous teams in conference entering Sunday’s match and that she was pleased with the way her team responded.

The Hurricanes won by scores of 30-22, 30-22, and 30-25.

“They have some very dangerous hitters,” Lantagne Welch noted.

The coach cited senior outside hitter Marcela Gamarra for her steady and consistent contributions throughout the match. Gamarra led the Hurricanes with a match high 16 kills and generated a .368 hitting percentage.

In the hitting percentage category, Valeria Tipiana led UM with an improbable .765 hitting percentage. She had 13 kills in the match.

Freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson continued to be a force for the Hurricanes, chipping in with 12 kills and six total blocks.

Sophomore setter Mallorey James passed for 52 assists.

Kari Belin led the Pirates with 13 kills (.250 hitting percentage).

UM’s next match is Wednesday, Oct. 16 against Florida International at 7 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex. The following Monday, the Hurricanes will face a stern test when they host the South Florida Bulls at 7 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex.

On Friday night, the Hurricanes defeated Rutgers 30-27, 30-26, 30-26.

Although they entered the match 0-2, the Scarlet Knights are among the stronger teams in the Big East. They were swept in three by conference powerhouse Notre Dame and were upset by Syracuse in five games.

“Rutgers is an excellent opponent, they’ve done well in the conference, and it was refreshing to see us take this challenge and step it up and play very well at home,” Lantagne Welch said.

Tipiana and Johnson led the Hurricanes in most offensive categories. Johnson sustained her place among the conference’s most efficient attackers, generating a .360 hitting percentage and 12 kills. She also had five total blocks. Tipiana followed with 11 kills and a .391 hitting percentage and led the Hurricanes on defense with 18 digs.

James led UM with 37 assists.

Rutgers’ lineup featured one of the conference’s top setters in Pualani Tuyay as well as one of its most dangerous outside hitters, Shayla Bush.

Bush led the Scarlet Knights with a match high 18 kills, but the Hurricanes were able to limit her hitting percentage to .293. Bush also had a match high 19 digs.

“Shayla is an all-conference performer,” coach Lantagne Welch said. “She’s very athletic and she moves the ball around well. At least we were able to contain her enough to win the match. She’s one of those players who will always get her kills.”

Information provided by the Sports Information Department.

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

It started as a large, plain white wall. It's become a conversation piece. ...

The Hurricanes continue their non-conference homestand on Sunday, November 17 when they host the IUP ...

Miami volleyball forced its third straight five-set match on Friday against NC State, but fell short ...

Dylan Sykes and Emma Langlois, leaders of the Miami cross county program, concluded the 2019 season ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...