Protesting the government a right, not a form of patriotism

Recently I was discussing current events with a friend of mine when we invariably moved on to the subject of September 11 and our nation’s subsequent reaction.

This friend remembers a time when the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was still somewhat fresh in everyone’s mind.

The main difference between then and now, she recalled, was that everyone was universally outraged by the actions of the Japanese.

Today, there is a significant segment of the American people who are not only not outraged; they (in true Canadian fashion) believe that we brought this on ourselves.

I will not even pretend to understand how a thinking, rational person, while perhaps having serious disagreements with the government, could be anything but enraged by this act of Islamic fundamentalist cowardice.

That said, while I will be the first to admit that our government has not always conducted itself in an honorable manner in the realm of foreign policy, nothing, without exception, justifies what those nineteen men did last year.

Many Americans (mostly those of traditional college age) seem to believe, because of their specific perception of history, that our nation and its government are inherently corrupt and therefore if someone, say, flies a jetliner into an unarmed office building, it must have been because of something we did to them.

Certainly that would be Osama bin Laden’s argument.

While not equating those who hold these opinions with a bottom-feeding animal like bin Laden, I think perhaps this opinion is just what our enemies are counting on.

After all, the expressers of this sentiment have been the first ones to criticize any actions we’ve taken in response to the attacks .

Whether this is akin to being disloyal to our country is only something the individual can answer.

I will say, however, that expressing your guaranteed right to protest and dissent is not in and of itself a patriotic act; it just means that you’re taking advantage of the rights and benefits guaranteed to you by sacrifices of those who came before us.

You have every right to get out there and make yourself heard on whatever it is you want to be heard, but you shouldn’t confuse that with being a patriot any more than criticizing the government makes you a traitor.

Scott Wacholtz is a junior majoring in computer science and political science and is a former Marine Corps Sergeant.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...