News Briefs and Campus Calendar

TODAY
Council for Democracy will sponsor the U.S. Congressional Debates at 6 p.m. in the Cosford Cinema. Annie Betancourt and Mario Diaz-Balart will battle for the District 25 seat in the capital. Contact David at 305-439-7496 for details.

Join the Hispanic Heritage Committee at the UC patio for closing ceremonies of Hispanic Heritage Month. “Grupo Prisma” will provide the Latin sounds and free food will be served from 12 to 2:00 p.m.

CAC presents Minority Report at Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10:30 p.m.

Laser Tag at the Wellness Center at 5 p.m. Call Kevin at Hurricane Productions, 305-284-4606, for more details.

OCTOBER 16
The Counseling Center and the Academic Development Center invite you to attend a program by Dr. Malcolm Kahn, Director of the Counseling Center, on “Psychological Tips for Academic Success” from 10 to 11 a.m. at the Academic Development Center, Room N201 (located on the 2nd floor of the Whitten University Center). For questions call 305-284-5511.

“Healthy Haunted House” is the theme of this year’s Wellness Expo, an evening of fun, food and fitness from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Wellness Center atrium. See exhibitions ranging from South Beach Smoothies to flu shots from the Health Center. The evening will also feature instructional classes, demonstrations, a pumpkin-decorating contest and a prize for the best costume.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies and the Middle East Studies Institute invite you to attend the second annual Jack Chester Memorial Lecture: Israeli Politics in the Crunch, 8 – 10 p.m. at Casa Bacardi. The speaker is Dr. Yossi Olmert, professor of security studies, former government policy advisor and political columnist who writes frequently for Yediot Aharonot and the Jerusalem Post. The lecture is free and open to the public. Seating is limited and first come, first served.

OCTOBER 17
CAC presents a sneak preview of the move NARC at 7 p.m. There will be a Q & A with actor Ray Liotta at the Cosford Cinema.

Take a study break from 9 till 11 p.m. to listen to a late-night jazz session at the Wesley Foundation, across from Mahoney/Pearson residential colleges.

OCTOBER 18
El Cielo Abierto is showing at the Cosford Cinema at 7:30 p.m. Miguel is a psychiatrist who is deeply depressed when his wife runs away with another man. Then he finds out that his mother-in-law is coming to visit and has no knowledge of his wife

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...