Culture

Highway Hooker makes History

Last Wednesday, convicted serial killer and prostitute, Aileen Wuornos, was executed by lethal injection, making her only the second woman executed in Florida since 1848. She was noted as being the first female serial killer in the history of the United States. Between 1989 and 1990, she killed six johns in Florida by shooting them in the chest with a .22 pistol, and claimed to have had sex with over 250,000 men. On the day before her death, she chose to forego her last meal rights, and ordered a cup of coffee. Before she exited, she left the world with these prophetic words: “Yes, I would just like to say I’m sailing with the rock, and I’ll be back, like Independence Day with Jesus. June 6, like the movie. Big mother ship and all, I’ll be back, I’ll be back.” Although her death has brought closure to the families of her victims, she has left the world with a question that will drive the Tootsie Pop owl bananas: In Independence Day, who was Jesus? Will Smith or Jeff Goldblum?

James Rush can be reached at music@wvum.org.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...