Culture

Highway Hooker makes History

Last Wednesday, convicted serial killer and prostitute, Aileen Wuornos, was executed by lethal injection, making her only the second woman executed in Florida since 1848. She was noted as being the first female serial killer in the history of the United States. Between 1989 and 1990, she killed six johns in Florida by shooting them in the chest with a .22 pistol, and claimed to have had sex with over 250,000 men. On the day before her death, she chose to forego her last meal rights, and ordered a cup of coffee. Before she exited, she left the world with these prophetic words: “Yes, I would just like to say I’m sailing with the rock, and I’ll be back, like Independence Day with Jesus. June 6, like the movie. Big mother ship and all, I’ll be back, I’ll be back.” Although her death has brought closure to the families of her victims, she has left the world with a question that will drive the Tootsie Pop owl bananas: In Independence Day, who was Jesus? Will Smith or Jeff Goldblum?

James Rush can be reached at music@wvum.org.

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...