Cuffy has big plans for Mr. UM

Amid cheers from the crowd gathered at the Rat Tuesday night, senior Gilbertson Cuffy was crowned Mr. UM after he impressed judges and spectators with his performance during the competition.

Cuffy represented United Black Students [UBS] and competed with other contestants in several rounds of competition including an introductory exercise, talent competition and formal wear round.

“I decided to compete because I like competition,” he said. “That, and UBS kind of forced me into it.”

In addition to his involvement in UBS, Cuffy is also active in KAOS hip-hop dance group, the Inspirational Concert Choir and Brothers Overcoming Negative Destruction.

According to Cuffy, the experience he had gained at previous Mr. UM events helped him win the title.

“I didn’t really go through much preparation,” he said. “I competed in the Mr. UM event my freshman and sophomore years, so I knew what to expect from this year’s competition.”

Cuffy said he enjoyed the talent portion of the competition most because he was able to perform a dance with a friend, Ntiense Inokon. The dance was a mix of songs by Usher, Justin Timberlake, B2K and other artists.

“I enjoyed all aspects of the competition, but the talent portion was definitely the most competitive,” he said. “Being involved in KAOS helped me prepare for the talent portion.”

“I sang in the last competitions, so I decided to try dancing this year,” he said.

He has also danced for the Miami Sol basketball team.

Cuffy commented on the camaraderie displayed throughout the event.

“Everyone in the competition was friendly. We were all encouraging one another backstage,” he said. “Overall, it was a friendly environment. I’m not so sure I could say that about the Miss UM event.”

During the question session, Cuffy randomly drew the question:

“What is the most memorable experience of being at UM?”

He mentioned his involvement in the President’s 100 organization and how he gives tours to prospective students who come to campus.

“For me, I feel privileged just to come to college and get an education,” he said. “There are kids out there who don’t have that opportunity.”

Currently Cuffy majors in Marketing and Finance, and he hopes to attend graduate school to obtain his MBA.

“I’d eventually like to set up my own marketing firm,” he said. “That, and I’d also like to own one Grammy, one Tony, one Oscar and one Emmy – at least one of each.”

Cuffy also has plans for his new position as Mr. UM.

“My responsibilities as Mr. UM are to just be like any other ‘Cane, but more spirited,” Cuffy said. “I just want people to know that I’m a friendly person, but that I’m also real.”

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...