Alumni Weekend celebrates the old and the new

Over 2000 alumni congregated on the University of Miami campus this weekend for a day of reunions, campus tours and Storm Watch festivities.

“Alumni Night is done for the anniversary dates of reunions,” said Lucy Evans, Homecoming committee chair. “After the parade, there are specials going on at the Rat and the Homecoming committee passes out gifts and prizes.”

According to those present, spirits were high among the alumni, who were reliving the good old days with their college friends.

“I’m simply amazed at the number of people here for this Homecoming,” said Dr. Butler, who served as vice president for student affairs in 1965. “I don’t see how Homecoming could be better in terms of spirit, participation, students and faculty involvement.”

“We’re seeing a lot of people from all the different student organizations we worked with,” said Sonja Moore, class of 1992, who now works in Career Services at Arizona State University.

“It brings back so many good memories and it seems like the spirit is up even more,” said Robert McArdle, class of 1982, now a legal assistant in Las Vegas.

“U of M changed my life.”

Recent graduates were also present at the event.

Matt Weisberg, class of 2000, graduated from the jazz program at UM. “[The jazz program] has changed a little, but a lot of the same teachers are here, so it’s nice to see them again and catch up.” Weisberg has been touring with Branford Marsalis of the Tonight Show Band and now resides in Boston, Massachusetts.

“It’s good to see all my old friends. The music school is really small so it’s a tightly knit group,” said Mike Borden, class of 2000.

Alumni were thrilled to experience the major changes around campus since their graduations.

“It’s amazing to see how much the campus has changed,” said ten-year alumna Amy Troiano, who is currently the creative director at the Discovery Channel. “Go Donna Shalala!”

“The campus is totally different since I’ve been here,” said Jim Field, class of 1998, now working as a structural engineer in New York.

“I’m really impressed with the changes in the facility and landscaping – it’s incredible,” said Bob Dougherty, a retired administrator of law judge who attended UM in the 1970s. “Dr. Shalala is doing a great job and Dr. Foote really turned the University around.”

The students in attendance enjoyed the events as much as the alumni.

“The atmosphere is really amazing and I’m really glad to be a part of it,” said Fara Gold, a third-year law student recently tapped into the Iron Arrow Society. “The UM spirit is contagious.”

Junior Cory Randolph and senior Ash Abili, who worked the doors at the Rat, commented on the event.

“The alumni have a lot of love for the undergrads,” Randolph said. “It’s a great atmosphere and we’ve made some good connections.”

“The graduates are genial,” Alibi said. “They seem happy to be here.”

Organizers of Alumni Night explained why it is important for current students to participate in Alumni Weekend festivities.

“It’s great for students to participate in alumni weekend events as a good way of providing interaction between the two groups,” said Jason Haber, the UM ambassador chair for special events.

“I think that students should work harder to create relationships with the alumni because they are connections to the working world,” said senior Annie Guttenberg, member of the UM Ambassadors.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...