What’s the definition of Modernism? Find out for yourself.

To some, abstract, modern art is hip and lets you gaze at conceptual pieces that defy the standards of form and outline. To others, it’s just a bunch of haphazard paint smears flung on a canvas. Yet no matter what your take is on the nonfigurative compositions that have been popping up in art galleries for decades now, there’s no avoiding the post-modern style when gallery-hopping in Miami.

This month, Kerry Ware presents his show, Modernism, at the Dorsch Gallery, displaying some of his finer works. A graduate from UM’s MFA program, Ware offers a selection from his cryptically titled “Adnos Cycle” series for his sixth solo show at the Dorsch.

The exhibit features nine compositions of Rorschach-like splotches. Upon first glance, the artist’s paintings may seem like dismissible, eccentric material, the kind of “art” that makes you muse about how you could create the same thing in your sleep and sell it for thousands of dollars (yet you end up never creating anything). However, there’s more to these paintings than erratic blotches. Highlights include “#4”, which swirls together colors of terra cotta and spring green, with accents of dusty blue. Generating a cool, Mediterranean mood, “#7” blends deep blues and green with speckles of cream and yellow.

Ware paints with oil on prepared plaster panels, layering paint coats and then sanding through the strata to create the desired multifaceted effect. The undulating spots of paint make for interesting viewing, inveigling your eyes to rise and fall with the rippling rolls of color.

According to Brook Dorsch, the gallery owner, Ware’s work has been likened to “aerial landscapes,” although the artist eschews associating his paintings with any type of specific subject matter. Accordingly then, this isn’t controversial, emotive material. It’s more suited to decorating a home, or being arranged neatly in a row along a lengthy hallway. “I see such a lack of seriousness and sophistication in most of the work being regarded as ’emerging,’ ‘new,’ and ‘cutting edge’ – a total disregard of aesthetic sensibility,” explains Ware of his motive to put together this exhibit.

Could this art be satisfying to your aesthetic taste buds, and is there more to Ware’s work than aesthetic value? Some will say yes, others will give an emphatic thumbs-down. Bottom line: check it out for yourself and form your own opinion.

Brook Dorsch lives and works Saturdays at his eponymous gallery, a small, simple studio hidden along a back street. The charming space with its enormous, high-vaulted rooms is surprisingly tucked away from Miami’s stylish art district, although its lime green stucco exterior is hard to miss.

Modernism runs through Nov. 2nd at the Dorsch Gallery in Miami. For hours, directions, and more information, call 305-576-1278.

Jessica Misener can be reached at jessm02@yahoo.com

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...