Letter to the Editor

The attacks that were made by the editor against the Orange Bowl staff and, more importantly, student fans trouble me. I understand that safety is of utmost importance to you, as it should be. However, attempting to curb student enthusiasm, generalizing the student section as drunken college kids, and claiming vendors show utter disregard when checking identification is hardly a way to address the situation. Why not rethink criticisms seemingly spawned by an incident that was not even covered by The Hurricane.

Football is an exciting sport. Hurricane football is an electrifying event. Students will stand and support their team. Asking them not to defeats their spirit and enthusiasm. UM does not have 50,000 students like Ohio State to pack into a stadium and create havoc for opposing teams by cheering their hearts out. We have our student section, and for the first time in a while, it has been full. Not just full for FSU, but full for UCONN! Let students be enthused, let them make noise, and for Sebastian’s sake, let them stand!

As for the drunken college kids comment, please step down from the

soapbox. Sure, some students drink, but don’t classify an entire section as one inebriated mass. If anything, standing would be the last thing drunken college kids would be capable of, especially for a prolonged period of time, like, say, a football game. Any time I’ve gone to purchase a brew in the OB, which certainly isn’t often (you can buy a six-pack for what they charge for a flat, watered-down domestic) the staff serving the beer checks my ID bracelet. Once, when buying a beer with a friend who, though older than me, looks much younger than me, even though he had a bracelet, the person serving the beers asked to see his ID. I would say that the OB staff is doing their job. What people imbibe or inhale before entering the OB, however, is not under OB staff control. I highly doubt mass quantities of underage students are getting drunk from over-priced beers in the OB.

Not all students are tactful

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...