Is courtesy dead? Hold on, my cell phone is ringing

Sadly, it seems, being courteous is a dying art. I’m sure there isn’t one person on this campus that hasn’t witnessed at least one act per day that qualifies as either rude or inconsiderate. Perhaps you can relate to the following:

Last Wednesday I’m in the library studying, when low and behold someone’s cell phone goes off. There would be nothing to write about here if that was the end of it, but you can probably guess that it wasn’t. Within 5 to 10 minutes another lovely digitally reproduced musical tone went off, followed by another and another, and so on. I decided to conduct a quick field research study and to my dismay I heard no less than 37 phones ring in the following 3 hours. Now on its face 12 calls an hour is not any sort of Earth-shattering statistic, but in a place that has a clearly posted sign at the entrance that says “Turn your cell phone off,” it’s a little outrageous, not to mention inconsiderate.

I have experienced in both the library and Stubblefield building’s study room acts of inexcusable inconsideration. There I am, studiously reading my Anthropology textbook, already having been interrupted by a cell phone, when two guys walked in to meet with a friend of theirs. By the way they carried on, one might have thought they hadn’t seen each other in years, with behavior that continued even after someone “shushed” them. In the library, a group of students enter and speak so loudly that they can be heard from the other end of the hallway. And unfortunately, this type of conduct is not limited to students alone. Last week I’m in the computer lab – in all fairness, not a completely quiet environment – and one of the faculty came in to converse with a student. This PHD talked so loud I thought maybe he had hearing problem (or perhaps he just liked the sound of his own voice).

Surely it can’t be that difficult to put your phone on vibrate or leave the room if the call is that important. And if you need to converse, please go outside where this august institution has, at considerable expense, created many areas where you can sit and catch up on all the important items of your day with your cell-phone wielding friends. And furthermore… hold on a minute… I’ve got to take this call.

Scott Wacholtz is a junior majoring in computer science and political science who is a former Marine Corps Sergeant.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...