Gilbertson Cuffy wins Mr. UM in third try

The Mr. UM crown went to senior Gilbertson Cuffy after he danced for the audience and impressed the judges with his personality and experience in giving younger kids campus tours and learning the valuable position we are in as college students.

He said that he is glad to win after his third time making it to the pageant.

“I just want to represent the school in the fullest way any ‘Cane would.”

On Tuesday at the RAT, contestants for Mr. UM represented Greek life and many other student organizations and clubs throughout campus.

According to Trysta Malm, who organized the event, the pageant encourages school spirit.

“[Mr. UM] gives students the opportunity to show their experience and enthusiasm in a different way,” Malm said. “It helps students express spirit through talents and interviews versus the traditional cheering at a football game.”

The homecoming committee, consisting of 30 students, narrowed the original 26 Mr. UM applicants to nine through a preliminary round where students showed a portion of their talents and answered questions similar to those asked during the pageant.

The judges for the competition were UM staff members Daniel DiResta, Lewis Ocasio, Jennifer Brack, and Erin Moyer.

“I liked the diversity in the contestants- I thought they had a wide range of talents,” Moyer said. “The hardest thing about deciding was judging…I didn’t know what the other judges were thinking.”

“The entire event was rowdiness- complete utter chaos,” Alex Cardenas said. “It was by far one of the most entertaining homecoming events ever.”

Enthusiasm, poise, stage presence, originality, response to questions, confidence and an entertaining talent were the focus of the committee when making their final decision.

Comedian Alonzo Bodden hosted the event. He has appeared at the Apollo and on Comedy Central.

“I would definitely do it again,” Bodden said.

The show was divided into three parts: introduction, talent, and interview.

During the talent round, contestants chose a performance included dancing, singing, a karate presentation, sharing animal balloon memories, and dressing in drag.

For the interview round contestants had to dress formally and answer a question that was pulled from a hat.

Among the questions asked were: “If you could be one of the seven dwarfs, who would you be?” and “Do you think UM is a typical American university, why or why not?

Students and contestants enjoyed the opportunity to show their spirit and support for the school through the pageant.

Dimitri Augustin, second runner-up saw the experience as an opportunity to meet new people.

“It was a great experience,” he said. “I want to congratulate everyone because they did a great job.”

Most audience members enjoyed the event.

“I really enjoyed the talent part of the show because it was not all serious like in the Miss UM contest,” senior Jodel Jerome said. .

“It was very fun and interesting to watch- I liked the talent,” freshman Soraya Farrell said. “I have to give it up for Gilbertson, he deserved it.”

Sponsors for the event included Books and Books, Big Cheese, Starbucks, Book Horizons, Miami’s Best Pizza, the UM bookstore and TGI Fridays.

Cuffy won two domestic round trip tickets as well as book certificates. First runner-up Chad Newman and Augustin, received gift certificates to the UM bookstore and to Book Horizons.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...