Volleyball finally falls

The University of Miami volleyball team’s nation leading win streak came to an end Sunday in a 3-2 loss to Georgetown at the McDonough Gym in Washington, D.C.

After conceding the first game 30-26, the Hurricanes (15-1 overall, 3-1 in the Big East Conference) dominated the second and third 30-12 and 30-16 respectively. The Hoyas (11-7, 3-1) took the fourth 30-27 and the fifth game 15-12.

“We became tentative and let them back in,” coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “It’s just disappointing because had the match under control. We played not to lose… We looked like we felt pressure.”

Among the bright spots for UM was the play of freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson, who recorded 14 kills and a match high .440 hitting percentage. UM sophomore outside hitter Elizabeth Tyson led the Hurricanes with 19 kills, while Valeria Tipiana followed closely with 18. Sophomore libero player Jamie Grass had a match high 22 digs for the Hurricanes.

The Hoyas were led by Lauren Warner, who had a match high 24 kills, and Sara Albert, who had a match high 10 total blocks.

Lantagne Welch is hoping that her team can learn from the loss.

“I think we can learn that we have to put teams away when we have the chance,” she said. “We just have to push a little harder. I know (these players) don’t like to lose. The loss really hurt.”

The loss marked Miami’s first since October 5, 2001. The Hurricanes had held the longest win streak in the nation at 26 consecutive victories. The loss also followed another road victory, a 3-0 win over Villanova (9-11, 0-3) at Nevin Fieldhouse.

The Hurricanes took the first two games 30-20 and 30-21, before stifling a determined effort by the Wildcats in the third game to win 30-28. Tipiana led Miami’s balanced attack with a match-high 19 kills. She also turned in an impressive .471 hitting percentage.

“Val had a great match offensively,” Lantagne Welch said. “They couldn’t find a way to stop her and she was effective in front and behind the setter.”

Gamarra led the defense with a match-high 15 digs, while Tyson followed with 14 digs. Lantagne Welch was especially pleased with the play of Gamarra on defense, citing a number of difficult digs that the senior came up with.

Sophomore setter Mallorey James quarterbacked the offense and was credited with 48 assists. Leah Mathews and Erin Birunas led the Wildcats with nine kills apiece.

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...