Volleyball finally falls

The University of Miami volleyball team’s nation leading win streak came to an end Sunday in a 3-2 loss to Georgetown at the McDonough Gym in Washington, D.C.

After conceding the first game 30-26, the Hurricanes (15-1 overall, 3-1 in the Big East Conference) dominated the second and third 30-12 and 30-16 respectively. The Hoyas (11-7, 3-1) took the fourth 30-27 and the fifth game 15-12.

“We became tentative and let them back in,” coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “It’s just disappointing because had the match under control. We played not to lose… We looked like we felt pressure.”

Among the bright spots for UM was the play of freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson, who recorded 14 kills and a match high .440 hitting percentage. UM sophomore outside hitter Elizabeth Tyson led the Hurricanes with 19 kills, while Valeria Tipiana followed closely with 18. Sophomore libero player Jamie Grass had a match high 22 digs for the Hurricanes.

The Hoyas were led by Lauren Warner, who had a match high 24 kills, and Sara Albert, who had a match high 10 total blocks.

Lantagne Welch is hoping that her team can learn from the loss.

“I think we can learn that we have to put teams away when we have the chance,” she said. “We just have to push a little harder. I know (these players) don’t like to lose. The loss really hurt.”

The loss marked Miami’s first since October 5, 2001. The Hurricanes had held the longest win streak in the nation at 26 consecutive victories. The loss also followed another road victory, a 3-0 win over Villanova (9-11, 0-3) at Nevin Fieldhouse.

The Hurricanes took the first two games 30-20 and 30-21, before stifling a determined effort by the Wildcats in the third game to win 30-28. Tipiana led Miami’s balanced attack with a match-high 19 kills. She also turned in an impressive .471 hitting percentage.

“Val had a great match offensively,” Lantagne Welch said. “They couldn’t find a way to stop her and she was effective in front and behind the setter.”

Gamarra led the defense with a match-high 15 digs, while Tyson followed with 14 digs. Lantagne Welch was especially pleased with the play of Gamarra on defense, citing a number of difficult digs that the senior came up with.

Sophomore setter Mallorey James quarterbacked the offense and was credited with 48 assists. Leah Mathews and Erin Birunas led the Wildcats with nine kills apiece.

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...