Symposium brings urban Latin America to U

Miami acts as a hub of South American culture.

As such, it was only fitting that the the UM College of Arts and Sciences, the Joseph Carter Memorial Fund, the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures and the Center for Latin American Studies hosted a two-day symposium on Latin American cities at the School of Business Administration’s Storer Auditorium last week.

“This symposium offers an intimate and concentrated forum in which to exchange ideas about the rapidly changing nature of urban life in Latin America, and that includes Miami,” said Dr. Rebecca Biron, associate professor of Spanish and coordinator of the event.

The symposium is part of the University’s ongoing efforts to support interdisciplinary initiatives and build strong ties with the community through public forums and activities.

According to organizers, the purpose of the symposium was to explore the interdisciplinary approaches to understanding urban spaces and experiences throughout Latin America.

The discussion included scholars from Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Santiago de Chile and other locations throughout South and Central America.

The discussions were held in three different languages – English, Spanish, and Portuguese

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol