Symposium brings urban Latin America to U

Miami acts as a hub of South American culture.

As such, it was only fitting that the the UM College of Arts and Sciences, the Joseph Carter Memorial Fund, the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures and the Center for Latin American Studies hosted a two-day symposium on Latin American cities at the School of Business Administration’s Storer Auditorium last week.

“This symposium offers an intimate and concentrated forum in which to exchange ideas about the rapidly changing nature of urban life in Latin America, and that includes Miami,” said Dr. Rebecca Biron, associate professor of Spanish and coordinator of the event.

The symposium is part of the University’s ongoing efforts to support interdisciplinary initiatives and build strong ties with the community through public forums and activities.

According to organizers, the purpose of the symposium was to explore the interdisciplinary approaches to understanding urban spaces and experiences throughout Latin America.

The discussion included scholars from Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Santiago de Chile and other locations throughout South and Central America.

The discussions were held in three different languages – English, Spanish, and Portuguese

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...