Symposium brings urban Latin America to U

Miami acts as a hub of South American culture.

As such, it was only fitting that the the UM College of Arts and Sciences, the Joseph Carter Memorial Fund, the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures and the Center for Latin American Studies hosted a two-day symposium on Latin American cities at the School of Business Administration’s Storer Auditorium last week.

“This symposium offers an intimate and concentrated forum in which to exchange ideas about the rapidly changing nature of urban life in Latin America, and that includes Miami,” said Dr. Rebecca Biron, associate professor of Spanish and coordinator of the event.

The symposium is part of the University’s ongoing efforts to support interdisciplinary initiatives and build strong ties with the community through public forums and activities.

According to organizers, the purpose of the symposium was to explore the interdisciplinary approaches to understanding urban spaces and experiences throughout Latin America.

The discussion included scholars from Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Santiago de Chile and other locations throughout South and Central America.

The discussions were held in three different languages – English, Spanish, and Portuguese

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...