Lindsey Yach producing as a frosh

Like many athletes, freshman Lindsey Yach had a list of division one schools knocking at her door in high school. For Yach, who received Big East Rookie of the Week honors on Sept. 23, it wasn’t about who had the most championships or where she could stand out most in the crowd. A unified team is the lifeblood of every successful sports program, and Yach is more aware of that then anyone else in a similar position.

Yach was quick to put her talent on display. She is second on the team, totaling 22 points on eight goals and three assists. She has already made quite an impact and still has seven games left to play in her first season.

Yach was surprised when she got wind of her honors.

“I didn’t think they’d be watching me,” Yach said.

Her teammates were very impressed, facetiously asking for her autograph. Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro, meanwhile, was not astonished to hear the news.

“Tactically, Lindsey really understands the game,” Taliaferro said. “Her vision is special; it’s not something everyone on the team has.”

What the team did have as a whole, though, is the reason why Yach arrived in Coral Gables.

“When I came here and first watched them play, I liked the girls on the team,” Yach said. “I felt like I could be a part of something.”

Growing up in the small suburb of Carrollton, Texas, Yach also felt like big city life would be a nice change.

“Carrollton is a lot more laid-back-here, there’s always something to do,” Yach said.

Needing something to do has not been a priority for the freshman midfielder. With grueling practices after class and traveling up the coast for away games, time management is an issue that the Computer Information Systems major grapples with daily. Her days playing on a Dallas club soccer team during high school now seem much easier, especially in the physical game.

“On the club team I could get away with trapping the ball, looking up, and finding where to go,” Yach said. “Here, I have to think a lot more. The girls here are much more aware of what they’re doing.”

But Yach knows she didn’t reach this level all on her own. Her parents have been the most influential people in her life, helping to guide her. Yach’s father gave her pointers and worked on her game with her, while Yach’s mother always backed her up with the confidence she needed.

Before soccer powerhouses such as Texas A+M, Southern Methodist and the University of Missouri recruited her, Yach played in the North Texas State Olympic Development Program (ODP). The program consists of several teams who compete at the state, regional, and national levels. College coaches often look for recruits through the ODP.

“You have to show off and stand out,” Yach said. “If you don’t, then you’re just another player and you won’t be able to move forward.”

Yach didn’t seem to have a problem standing out, although she enjoys playing together much more than individual competition. She gets along with her UM teammates well, and they have a strong relationship.

Yach is happy about the smooth transition she’s experienced into college soccer so far. Just from her numbers, it’s apparent that other members of the team, including the coaching staff, are not too disappointed about her presence, either.

“She’s creating chances for her teammates, and she’s creating chances for herself,” Taliaferro said.

For now, these golden opportunities are a large part of what’s keeping the ‘Canes in the Big East 8

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...