Campus Calendar News Briefs Briefs

Today
The UM Department of Theatre Arts announces Totally Tuesdays, four performances at the Ring Theatre free for students. The first play, The Laramie Project, starts at 8 p.m. today; theatre doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

CAC presents Star Wars: Episode II at the Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10 p.m.

Homecoming: Mr. UM, 7 p.m. @ Rat.

OCTOBER 9
CAC presents a sneak preview of Knockaround Guys at Cosford Cinema at 9 p.m. Pick up passes at UC 206.

Elli Wohlgelernter, Diaspora Affairs Editor for the Jerusalem Post, will be speaking at the Hillel Jewish Center at 6:30 p.m. His talk will focus on “The Middle East, the Media and the Message,” a look at how newspapers, television and radio cover Palestinian violence and Israeli reactions to the violence. Free food and drinks will be served, and the talk is open to everybody.

In Latinos 101, students will be leading discussion on issues pertaining to Latinos in an event moderated by the director of Multicultural Student Affairs, Nanette Vega, at Eaton RC from 7- 9 p.m.

Anti-Hate Crime Candlelight Vigil on the Rock at 8 p.m. Come commemorate everyone that has been lost to a hate crime. President Shalala will be the key speaker, joined by several speakers from different campus organizations.

OCTOBER 10
The UM Counseling Center is participating in National Depression Screening Day. From 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the UC Breezeway, students will be administered a brief depression screening and receive immediate feedback. Information will be available about depression, manic-depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. Call Gretchen at 305-284-5511 for more information.

Poet and playwright Jay Wright, recipient of the 2000 Lannan Literary Award for Poetry, a Guggenheim Fellowship and the 62nd Fellowship of the Academy of American Poets, will read from his Collected Poems at 4 p.m. in 427 Ashe. Wright examines history from a multicultural perspective, linking American society to African traditions. He believes that a poem must articulate the vital rhythms of the culture it depicts and is dedicated to a pursuit of poetic forms that embody the cadence of African American culture.

Pianist Luiz Fernando Benedini will jam with cellist Antonio Meneses for a concert of chamber music at Gusman Hall at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 for students.

OCTOBER 11
The UM Alumni Association invites you to this year’s Audrey R. Finkelstein UM Experience, an interactive educational series featuring UM faculty, alumni and lecture topics. This year’s topics include “Public Health is Everyone’s Concern,” “Music’s Therapeutic Power,” “Diversity and Teaching,” “Surviving Times of Crisis,” “Business is a Contact Sport” and “Questions of Bioethics.” For more information contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872.

OCTOBER 13
The Asian American Students Association will present the fourth annual Run and Gun Football Tournament on the IM fields. Register during the Asian American Students Association general meetings before Oct. 10. Contact Darrel Cabias at aasaum@yahoo.com for more information.

OCTOBER 15
CAC presents Minority Report at Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10:30 p.m.

Laser Tag at the Wellness Center at 5 p.m. Call Kevin at Hurricane Productions, 305-284-4606, for more details.

OCTOBER 26
The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs will offer a free practice test for the MCAT, LSAT, GRE or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800-2Review.

OCTOBER 26 – NOVEMBER 2
QuantUM Entertainment will present the Rocky Horror Show at the Hillel Center. Call 786-262-3779 or visit www.gotoquantum.com for ticket information.

Are you free on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.? Be a mentor. Let at risk 4th graders know that they have an opportunity for a college education. Contact the Volunteer Services center at 305-284-GIVE or visit UC 240 for more information.

To acquire a University of Miami collegiate license plate, when you renew your registration at your local tax collector’s office, ask to replace your current tag with a specialty license plate. The UM specialty tags cost $25 more than traditional plates; this money, however, comes back to UM. For more information, contact the Specialty License Plate office at 850-414-2541.

On Jan. 4, 2003, Hurricanes Basketball will play their first game inside the convocation center against the North Carolina Tarheels. The Hurricanes are soon to release the 2002 basketball advertising campaign which, like the recent football television commercial campaign, features state-of-the-art animation sequences.

An NIH-supported research ethics conference, Extreme Ethics, will be held later this October at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay Hotel. One track of the conference emphasizes Foundations: Elements of High Quality IRB Review. The other, from which the course draws its name, addresses exceptionally difficult challenges in research on human subjects and in public health. Topics include genetics, biostatistics and bioinformatics. The conference brochure and program are available online at www.miami.edu/ethics. For more information call the UM Ethics Programs at 305-243-5723.

UMIQ is a tournament style game show in which teams from the 5 Residential Colleges, the Apartment Area, the Greeks and the Commuters compete in an intellectual contest of wits. If you would like to represent one of these teams, please contact UMIQ@miami.edu for more information.

The University of Miami School of Law will celebrate the life of beloved Professor Robert H. Waters, who died Sept. 2 after a long battle with cancer, with a service at 3 p.m. Oct. 25 in the Student Lounge at the School of Law, 1311 Miller Drive, in Coral Gables.
Having served on the School of Law faculty for 30 years, Professor Waters was an integral part of the School of Law and was an outstanding teacher and mentor to countless students. At UM, he helped found the Woodson-Williams-Marshall Association for black faculty and administrators and began an enrichment program for black students entering law school. He also founded the James Weldon Johnson Summer Institute at UM Law School.
The James Weldon Johnson Summer Institute at the law school was named for the author, lawyer, educator, diplomat, civil rights activist and first African American admitted to the Florida Bar. Plans are under way to rename the institute for Professor Waters, Dean Lynch said.