Where are the football players hiding on campus?

I am a big Miami Hurricane football fan. Whenever the stars are aligned properly and my professors or my hectic schedule allow, there I am, at the Orange Bowl, watching the game while sitting behind the Band of the Hour. When the game is away, chances are I’ll be in front of a TV for hours, be at home or at the Rat.

I guess I owe my friends from campus for turning this Brazilian, from the land where “football” actually means playing with your feet, into an NCAAF fan. For almost 240 minutes every time, I’ll be watching all of our players defend the orange and green and Sebastian’s good name (you know what I mean).

And still, in a way, those men, for most of us, are undercover heroes. I admit I probably would not even recognize them if I passed by them on campus. I’m left to do what my mother always does when she stops by UM: assume that everyone who’s higher than 6-foot-2 and heavier than 200 lbs. is part of our sports program, and most likely, a football player.

But the truth is, aside from one or two players, I don’t know who our men that I so admire really are. I can recognize Ken Dorsey, simply because he’s our quarterback and gets a lot of publicity while off the field; I know Jonathan Vilma, just because we have a mutual good friend – and that’s pretty much it.

Most of the others, I’ll only recognize when I see them smashing into rival players while sporting their uniform (helmet and all) with their name and number on the back. I’m not happy to say that at all. I’d love to have passed by our players after the Florida game, and said “Great job! We’re proud of you!” without having to rely on the bench where they usually meet.

One solution for it might be to make a bigger deal of our rallies on campus before the game. I went to the one before the Florida game. There, I was able to see two coaches (including Coach Coker who, by the way, is much taller than I ever thought he was), and a player – one single player, without uniform, who I will now be able to distinguish. As for the rest, they remain without face.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think that’s the goal of the University and its Athletic Department – for them to remain unknown. It wouldn’t make sense either for the players themselves to remain incognito.

Since we have such a great and successful team, it would be my objective to make them known, to make students proud of having them on their classrooms and to make us able to tell whether a 6-foot-5, 250-lbs. man is one of our Miami Hurricane players or not. Such privilege (or right) shouldn’t be of just one or two selected ones, or kept locked until they actually enter the NFL draft.

Daniel Paskin is a doctoral student in the school of International studies.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...