Parking lot etiquette: Oxymoron? See for yourself

Parking lot etiquette: More and more I’m beginning to feel as though the two terms make up a rather sticky oxymoron. It’s been said a thousand times before: We all pay an excessive amount of money to go to this school and in addition to that, we cough up the annual cost of parking decals, which are useless when we get a ticket anyway for illegally parking in a desperate effort to get to class on time (for a change). “We” is a collective term, and in the spirit of campus unity, “we” are all in the same boat! So, you would think this realization would create sympathy and compassion for your fellow ‘Canes. Think again. It’s a war out there!

Walking out to your car in the afternoon feels like dragging your feet through shark-infested water, with weights tied to your ankles. Unfortunately, this process of polite harassment is the only way for new arrivals to secure a spot and stave off an aneurism, nearly incurred through driving madly around the crowded lot, schizophrenically rambling to themselves, radio down, A/C off – just incase you can catch the faint sound of jingling keys or an engine revving up to leave.

But let’s talk a little about etiquette, people. Last week, I was driving alongside a student who was so kindly vacating her spot and this crazy girl flew around me, cut me off and jammed on the brakes, weaving from side to side so that I couldn’t pass. I was flabbergasted at this blatant disregard for the unspoken UM parking code. And imagine my horror when she paused long enough to give me the finger! This girl had pulled up so closely behind the student who was leaving that they were unable to pull out. Realizing all options were expired, the space-stealer was forced to move on. I got the parking space and no participants were harmed in this endeavor, reinforcing the age old adage that cheaters never prosper!

To conclude, fellow ‘Canes, when you’re hot and late and desperate for any parking space not already occupied by vehicle or palm tree, try to keep in mind that everyone else is as well. Make an effort to treat others with the same respect you’d like to receive … because next time, you might just find yourself out of gas.

Whitney W. Friedrich is a senior majoring in Advertising and English.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...