Jamie Grass another reason for great start

Numerous people deserve credit for the amazing 25 match win streak of the Hurricane women’s volleyball team. The streak has truly been the result of a team effort. One of the key players on the squad who is the epitome of a “team player” is sophomore outside hitter/libero Jaime Grass.

Grass, one of the leaders of a relatively young team, brings a lot of experience to the table. At Mira Costa High School in Manhattan Beach, CA she guided her team to the Bay League Championship three years in a row. She also is one of few college volleyball players with a second place finish in the 2001 Junior Olympics in Sydney, Australia to her credit.

“The Junior Olympics in Sydney was probably my biggest accomplishment thus far, at least on the beach,” Grass said. “As a California girl, I love the beach volleyball style of play. This season’s win streak has been my favorite indoor experience though.”

As a freshman last year, Grass started in 21 matches and played in 84 total games. She averaged a team-high 3.32 digs and collected 279 digs overall. Grass was also second in assists (450) and third in aces (29).

In Grass’s mind, what makes this year’s team better than last year’s is that there is less of an age gap and everyone on the roster contributes.

“Last year’s team had a large gap between freshmen and seniors,” Grass said. “This year we have a more balanced team and all of the freshmen have been gaining experience.”

When you are a member of a team that has had a long win streak, it adds a world of pressure to each match. Grass doesn’t feel any differently at all, however, when she steps on the court now as opposed to any other matches she has played in the past.

“I try not to think like that,” Grass said. “I am very proud of what we have accomplished and I know that we can’t predict our next loss so we can’t afford to worry about it [the streak].”

Grass’s goals for the season involve a winning season, a Big East title, and an NCAA tournament berth. All of these are extremely attainable and tie in to the team’s main objective.

“As a team we just need to keep improving,” Grass said. “The streak is great and all, but our main focus is on continuing to get better.”

Grass admits that there isn’t a single team in the Big East that she fears, but she is especially looking forward to two upcoming matches.

“A big match for me is on October 11 against Rutgers,” Grass said. “I have many friends that play for Rutgers, and I hope to see a large turnout for that match. I also am looking forward to playing Notre Dame, who is always tough.”

As the old saying goes, “all good things must come to an end.” Eventually, the

Hurricane volleyball team may drop a match or two, but the ladies deserve recognition from both the school and the national media for what they have accomplished. While she may not admit it herself, Jaime Grass also deserves credit for always putting the team first and serving as one of the leaders of a squad destined for greatness.

You can reach Eric Kalis at elk777bc@hotmail.com.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...