Jamie Grass another reason for great start

Numerous people deserve credit for the amazing 25 match win streak of the Hurricane women’s volleyball team. The streak has truly been the result of a team effort. One of the key players on the squad who is the epitome of a “team player” is sophomore outside hitter/libero Jaime Grass.

Grass, one of the leaders of a relatively young team, brings a lot of experience to the table. At Mira Costa High School in Manhattan Beach, CA she guided her team to the Bay League Championship three years in a row. She also is one of few college volleyball players with a second place finish in the 2001 Junior Olympics in Sydney, Australia to her credit.

“The Junior Olympics in Sydney was probably my biggest accomplishment thus far, at least on the beach,” Grass said. “As a California girl, I love the beach volleyball style of play. This season’s win streak has been my favorite indoor experience though.”

As a freshman last year, Grass started in 21 matches and played in 84 total games. She averaged a team-high 3.32 digs and collected 279 digs overall. Grass was also second in assists (450) and third in aces (29).

In Grass’s mind, what makes this year’s team better than last year’s is that there is less of an age gap and everyone on the roster contributes.

“Last year’s team had a large gap between freshmen and seniors,” Grass said. “This year we have a more balanced team and all of the freshmen have been gaining experience.”

When you are a member of a team that has had a long win streak, it adds a world of pressure to each match. Grass doesn’t feel any differently at all, however, when she steps on the court now as opposed to any other matches she has played in the past.

“I try not to think like that,” Grass said. “I am very proud of what we have accomplished and I know that we can’t predict our next loss so we can’t afford to worry about it [the streak].”

Grass’s goals for the season involve a winning season, a Big East title, and an NCAA tournament berth. All of these are extremely attainable and tie in to the team’s main objective.

“As a team we just need to keep improving,” Grass said. “The streak is great and all, but our main focus is on continuing to get better.”

Grass admits that there isn’t a single team in the Big East that she fears, but she is especially looking forward to two upcoming matches.

“A big match for me is on October 11 against Rutgers,” Grass said. “I have many friends that play for Rutgers, and I hope to see a large turnout for that match. I also am looking forward to playing Notre Dame, who is always tough.”

As the old saying goes, “all good things must come to an end.” Eventually, the

Hurricane volleyball team may drop a match or two, but the ladies deserve recognition from both the school and the national media for what they have accomplished. While she may not admit it herself, Jaime Grass also deserves credit for always putting the team first and serving as one of the leaders of a squad destined for greatness.

You can reach Eric Kalis at elk777bc@hotmail.com.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...