Culture

Entertainment News

Tonight
Pianist/songwriter Johnny Rogers performs at Christ The King Lutheran Church, 11295 SW 57th Ave, Miami, to benefit the Music Inside/OUT free concert series in March. Show starts at 8 p.m. and it’s $10. Call 305-235-9298.

Nuclear Valdez play the Factory, 2674 E. Oakland Park Blvd., Ft. Lauderdale, with guests Humbert. Call 954-566-6331.

Grand Prix Americas roars through the streets of downtown Miami all weekend long, starting today. Tickets run from $30-$100. Watch the speedometers hit overkill at over 200 mph if you got the stomach to handle it. 305-373-3333.

Treat your eye to colorful imagery with The Color of Time: Photographs of Eduardo del Valle and Mirta Gomez, Silvia Lizama and Joe Tamargo at the Miami-Dade Public Library System: Main Library, 101 W. Flagler St. Call 305-375-2665.

Saturday, October 5
Monitor Records’ Bellini rips the stage for Poplife at Piccadilly Garden, 35 NE 40th St., Miami. $7 for ages 21 and up, $10 ages 18-20. Hit this shit up to hear some massive usage of accordions and keyboards-it might just blow your mind (and ears) away. 305-573-8221. Doors open at 11 p.m.

Beforehand, check out the listener party at Poplife for the new Jurassic 5 album, Power in Numbers. It starts at 9 p.m.

Train, who recently won a Grammy for their album Drops of Jupiter (we’re not sure why they deserved the award though), play the Bayfront Park Amphitheater, 301 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, as part of the Grand Prix. You need tickets to the races to attend. Call 305-533-1033.

Sunday, October 6
Q and Not U serve their special brew of danceable punk music at Churchill’s, 5501 NE 2nd Ave., Miami. Don’t miss out ’cause you’ll be shaking your ass all night long if you go and it won’t be because of the beer swigging down your throat (though that might help too). 305-757-1807.

Tuesday, October 8
Stars Wars Episode II at the Cosford-time tba.

Thursday, October 10
Bassist Charlie Haden performs boleros at Coconut Grove Playhouse, 3500 Main Hwy. $20-$40. 305-442-4000.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...