Yellow Rose Society helps women help others

Yellow Rose Society hopes that this will be the year of the rose.

Their mission is to focus on community outreach, academic achievement, peer education and leadership in order to promote unity among the entire student body.

“One of the most important goals of Yellow Rose Society is to foster friendships among the women of the University of Miami,” said Amber Lawhorn, president.

“The yellow rose itself is a symbol of friendship,” Lawhorn said.

Most of the members of Yellow Rose are minority women.

“We try to make it clear that, although Yellow Rose Society is geared toward minority women, women of all walks are more than welcome to participate,” Lawhorn said. “As minorities, many of us would not be where we are today had someone not reached out to us as a guide, a positive force that may not have already been present in our lives.

“Yellow Rose provides students opportunities to give back to the community and form bonds with fellow students in the process.

“Being that Yellow Rose Society’s focus is more on being women effecting change and fostering sisterhood, the majority of our energy is used to give back to the community at large.”

Over 50 ladies were present at their first meeting.

Thirty-five members were actively involved in the student-run organization last year.

“Yellow Rose is more of a sisterhood organization. The close-knit group attracted me,” sophomore Alana Smith said.

“This is my first year in Yellow Rose. I joined because I’m really impressed with what the women are doing,” junior Kandice Ezell said.

Yellow Rose volunteers under Hands on Miami, a local volunteer agency.

Once monthly members help at Miami Bridge, a shelter for displaced teens; Upward Bound, an organization that assists first generation college-bound students; and McLamore House, a home for kids who have been removed from their homes.

“Yellow Rose is a great organization that gives me a chance to meet other women who are working to promote positive influences in our community,” Ezell said.

According to members, Yellow Rose allows for a flexible schedule.

“I’m an RA so I’m busy during the week. The way that the society works you can sign up when you’re available,” Ezell said.

The Yellow Rose Society puts on their annual play, Genesis, every spring semester.

“Genesis is a student-written, produced and directed play that addresses college women’s issues,” Lawhorn said.

According to those involved in the play, some issues addressed in last year’s play included eating disorders, pregnancy, sexual harassment, interracial dating and religious tolerance.

“It was a fun experience and a learning experience for that of the girls who participated and the audience who came to see it,” Kimberly Walker said.

Yellow Rose also participates in Women’s History month.

“We have played a part in Women’s History Month by tabling about breast cancer awareness in the breezeway, creating a tribute to successful women which is hung around the Rock as well as co-sponsoring events with the Women’s Resource Center,” Lawhorn said.

“The Yellow Rose Society has been a cornerstone in my development as an individual, by shaping my character through community service and helping me to build lifelong friendships,” Candis Robinson, treasurer, said.

For more information on the Yellow Rose Society, contact Amber Lawhorn at msajlawhorn@hotmail.com.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...