Yellow Rose Society helps women help others

Yellow Rose Society hopes that this will be the year of the rose.

Their mission is to focus on community outreach, academic achievement, peer education and leadership in order to promote unity among the entire student body.

“One of the most important goals of Yellow Rose Society is to foster friendships among the women of the University of Miami,” said Amber Lawhorn, president.

“The yellow rose itself is a symbol of friendship,” Lawhorn said.

Most of the members of Yellow Rose are minority women.

“We try to make it clear that, although Yellow Rose Society is geared toward minority women, women of all walks are more than welcome to participate,” Lawhorn said. “As minorities, many of us would not be where we are today had someone not reached out to us as a guide, a positive force that may not have already been present in our lives.

“Yellow Rose provides students opportunities to give back to the community and form bonds with fellow students in the process.

“Being that Yellow Rose Society’s focus is more on being women effecting change and fostering sisterhood, the majority of our energy is used to give back to the community at large.”

Over 50 ladies were present at their first meeting.

Thirty-five members were actively involved in the student-run organization last year.

“Yellow Rose is more of a sisterhood organization. The close-knit group attracted me,” sophomore Alana Smith said.

“This is my first year in Yellow Rose. I joined because I’m really impressed with what the women are doing,” junior Kandice Ezell said.

Yellow Rose volunteers under Hands on Miami, a local volunteer agency.

Once monthly members help at Miami Bridge, a shelter for displaced teens; Upward Bound, an organization that assists first generation college-bound students; and McLamore House, a home for kids who have been removed from their homes.

“Yellow Rose is a great organization that gives me a chance to meet other women who are working to promote positive influences in our community,” Ezell said.

According to members, Yellow Rose allows for a flexible schedule.

“I’m an RA so I’m busy during the week. The way that the society works you can sign up when you’re available,” Ezell said.

The Yellow Rose Society puts on their annual play, Genesis, every spring semester.

“Genesis is a student-written, produced and directed play that addresses college women’s issues,” Lawhorn said.

According to those involved in the play, some issues addressed in last year’s play included eating disorders, pregnancy, sexual harassment, interracial dating and religious tolerance.

“It was a fun experience and a learning experience for that of the girls who participated and the audience who came to see it,” Kimberly Walker said.

Yellow Rose also participates in Women’s History month.

“We have played a part in Women’s History Month by tabling about breast cancer awareness in the breezeway, creating a tribute to successful women which is hung around the Rock as well as co-sponsoring events with the Women’s Resource Center,” Lawhorn said.

“The Yellow Rose Society has been a cornerstone in my development as an individual, by shaping my character through community service and helping me to build lifelong friendships,” Candis Robinson, treasurer, said.

For more information on the Yellow Rose Society, contact Amber Lawhorn at msajlawhorn@hotmail.com.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...