UM soccer leaves Syracuse with tie

Syracuse, NY- The University of Miami women’s soccer team remained undefeated in Big East play as it finished locked in a 2-2 two-overtime tie with Syracuse on Sunday afternoon in Syracuse, New York.
The Hurricanes remain at 7-3-1 overall and 3-0-1 in Big East play, while the Orangemen maintain a 2-5-2 overall record and 0-2-1 in the Big East.
Miami fell early in the match, 1-0, as midfielder Anne-Marie Lapalme blasted one far post on a pass from Natalie Galas in the 12th minute of play.
The Hurricanes found the equalizer three minutes later (15th minute) on an unassisted goal by forward Britney Butcher, who won a 50/50 ball and beat the Orangemen defense for her team-leading 10th goal of the season.
Forward Allison McWhinney gave the Hurricanes a 2-1 lead in the 29th minute as she gathered a rebound off a Vonda Matthews shot and knocked in her fifth goal of the season past goalkeeper Emily Kowalczyk.
However, Galas would send the match into overtime, scoring in the 64th minute of play on a pass from defender Erica Mastrogiacomo.
After two ten-minute overtime periods, the match remained scoreless ending in a 2-2 tie.
The Hurricanes out-shot the Orangemen 22 to 18. Additionally, Miami goalkeeper Rachel Elsby had an impressive performance registering 10 saves on the afternoon.
The Hurricanes return to Coral Gables as they host Connecticut on Friday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. and St. John’s on Sunday, Oct. 6. at 1 p.m.
Article provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...