Letter to the Editor

“To be or not to be” credible, that is the question. Are we a credible actor on the world stage if we sign resolutions that we don’t enforce, especially when those subject to their jurisdiction blatantly ignore them? We know by their actions that the UN has no credibility and is rapidly morphing into its predecessor, the League of Nations. I am given to wonder, then, why it is so important to Mr. Travis Atria what the rest of the world thinks of us since we’re in this mess with Iraq now because we signed on to this incompetent notion of multilateralism that left Saddam Hussein in place.
Mr. Atria would have us believe that this rogue state of Iraq is deserving of the respectful diplomatic discourse under which reasonable nations conduct themselves. It most certainly is not. In light of this, we are no more accusing Iraq of a crime they have not committed than Winston Churchill was guilty of falsely accusing Hitler of criminal acts as he brazenly defied the treaty of Versailles. While I do not imply that George W. Bush is a man of Winston Churchill’s level of greatness, I simply point out that most of the nations involved considered Churchill to be wrong in the same manner that those of Mr. Atria’s stripe consider President Bush to be wrong.
Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, even speech as biased as Mr. Atria’s. I wore the uniform of a United States Marine for seven years to protect that right and I am always gratified to see its mature and articulate expression. It is important to the functioning of a democracy such as ours that all points of view are expressed. It is, however, not productive to base your opposition to something or someone based upon how eloquent a public speaker someone is or is not. There was a man once who was a great crafter of the written word. His ideas touched many and led to the foundations of our government. So imagine what a shock it was to people when they came to see him and found out he was an absolutely awful public speaker, probably in his own way much worse than George W. Bush. This man subsequently was our third President. It’s probably good his fitness to lead wasn’t judged by Travis Atria.

Scott Wacholtz is a junior majoring in computer science and political science who served as a Marine Corps Sergeant in Desert Storm.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...