Homecoming off to solid start

Despite the incessant warnings to back up from the stage, this year’s Hurricane Howl went off reasonably well. South Florida’s own New Found Glory took the stage amidst a large crowd of students and fans alike. The concert was somewhat of a homecoming for drummer Cyrus Bolooki, a former student at the University of Miami, and he put on quite a performance as the band ran through their energetic list of songs about the trials and tribulations of puberty and picking your friends over your girlfriend.

Equally impressive was the opening act, All That’s Left, also a local band with Miami ties. Guitarist Andrew Bolooki (Cyrus’ brother) is currently a student at the University of Miami. The band played in promotion of their new release, The 806 E.P., and gave many onlookers a taste of their music as they threw out flurries of free promotional CDs from the stage during the performance. If you missed all the action, they can be reached at www.allthatsleft.com.

Although the concert was not filled with thousands of screaming, pre-pubescent girls, it was all-in-all a success. It seems that Hurricane Productions finally was able to get the right band and the right weather conditions to line up on the same night. Hopefully that trend will continue.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...