Homecoming off to a rockin’ start

Homecoming officially kicked off Friday at the UC patio with the Opening Ceremonies and Hurricane Howl, the fall concert with headliners New Found Glory and opening band All That’s Left.

Hurricane Productions was in charge of signing the bands to play and managing the audience.

According to organizers, opening ceremonies were done in a “pep-rally” style on the UC Patio to get students pumped up for the next two weeks.

“I’m really impressed that the University has gone ahead and organized this event,” Jenine Douglas said. “This is awesome and I’m having a lot of fun.”

During opening ceremonies, the homecoming executive committee and each organization participating in homecoming events were introduced.

At 8:30 pm, All That’s Left, a band from Hollywood, FL, performed their fast, modern punk rock., followed by New Found Glory’s melodic crossover punk music.

“I’ve known [the drummer of All That’s Left]for two years, and he’s really worked hard for this,” said junior Sandeep Patel. “I thought their performance was amazing, and I want to buy their new CD.”

“I’ve seen them before, and the live shows rock,” said sophomore Randall Rahm, a resident of New Found Glory’s hometown of Coral Springs. “It’s good to see a local band playing at homecoming.”

According to organizers and those present, there were problems with crowd control and moshing throughout the event because of the presence of non-students and local fans of the bands, many of whom were witnessed trying to buy tickets as guests of UM students.

A member of Hurricane Productions stated that the moshing and crowd surfing were stopped because of liability issues and safety of the audience.

“Besides the fact that it got a little crazy at times, I think that, overall, everything went well,” Douglas said. “Everyone is going to come home smiling.”

“It was a wild concert,” Emma Carroll said. “They put on a great show.”

The Miss University of Miami Pageant took place Sunday night at the Gusman Concert Hall.

The winner of the Miss UM title was Jenna Edwards. She was sponsored by Kappa Kappa Gamma.

Fifteen contestants participated in the scholarship competition. Among the prizes was a $1,000 scholarship, gift certificates for massages from the Wellness Center, and arrangements by Cookies By Design, as well as many other prizes.

The fourth runner-up, Kiara Duran, was also named Miss Congeniality. She was sponsored by Kappa Sigma. The third runner-up, Angie Perez was sponsored by Zeta Tau Alpha. The second runner-up, Candice Byrd, was sponsored by Delta Delta Delta. Diane Cabrera was the first runner-up, sponsored by the Federation of Cuban Students.

Jenna Edwards will represent UM in the Miss Florida Pageant in June.

The annual homecoming blood drive takes place this week until Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day in the University Center Flamingo Ballrooms. All donations go to the Florida Blood Bank.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...