Campus not as culturally diverse as it proclaims

Enough about America. What about the rest of the world?

If someone were to peruse UM’s main brochure, one of the first sentences they would encounter says, “The influx of different ethnic traditions, languages and experiences at the University of Miami gives our students the rare opportunity to gain a truly global experience.”

It is true that many international students attend UM, but is the culture felt on campus as diverse as the promotions claim? Students, whatever their heritage, seem to think that it is not.

Yes, various clubs exist for assorted cultures. They range from the African Students Union to the Yansin Qigong Club, but these clubs don’t transfer into a pervasive feel of the international atmosphere.

According to more than one international student, the school is steeped in Americana. Our focus on the September 11 attacks was primarily on the American citizens killed in the towers, and murals on campus depicted New York City. That’s all respectable and commendable, but I didn’t hear about the 170 international people who were killed.

Our classes, at least on a freshman 100-level, are called things like “Mass Communication in Society.” American society. This makes sense considering we are in America, but I still feel that international students aren’t being as recognized as the University claims.

International students aren’t the only ones who agree. So how can we attempt to mollify this division? First, maybe the school could sponsor a gigantic cultural fair. It is true that this randomly occurs, but it’s usually just one club at a time.

If a huge culture fair occurred, attendance rates would be high (food could be the centerpiece) and international students could take pride in their traditions. We’ve also heard things like “Gay101” and “Race101,” so why not have a “Culture101,” where people from various origins could talk? The school may consist of students from all over the globe, but I think it would be positive to focus on them, instead of America, a little more.

Dara Solomon is a freshman majoring in print journalism.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...