It’s time to flex our political muscle over Iraq

When George W. Bush first entered office, I predicted that he would bring about the Armageddon. Many people laughed. Some even questioned my mental stability. Well, who’s crazy now?

In recent months, Bush has been shoving war with Iraq down everyone’s throats. In so doing, he has alienated both the United Nations and the better part of the world and set them against us. Smooth move, George. Smooth move.

And as if his suave, diplomatic foreign relations weren’t reason enough to reelect him, George W. Bush has topped it all off with a proposal that would, in very basic terms, allow the United States to make preemptive attacks on any nation that might be developing weapons of mass destruction.

While this might sound like a fairly sensible thing to do, it raises some serious questions. How can we accuse a nation and then punish them for a crime that they did not yet commit? Wouldn’t that basically be the same thing as a terrorist attack? Oh, wait – how could I forget – we’re doing it in the name of freedom.

The sad truth is we are simply treating these nations with a “guilty until proven innocent” or, more precisely, a “guilty, and we’re going to bomb you until it doesn’t matter whether you were innocent” mindset. Obviously, this proposal is incredibly un-American.

But surely Bush can’t be as inept as he seems, right? He must have a good explanation, don’t you think? Well, here is how he explained the need for preemptive action during a speech in Tennessee.

He said, “There is a little saying in Texas: ‘Fool me once, shame on you. But if you fool me, you can’t get fooled again.” And the worst part is, he wasn’t even able to get through this pathetic misquotation without a series of long pauses broken by looks of deep confusion and mild stuttering. Yes America, this is the man you elected. I sure hope you’re happy.

Of course, all of my complaining isn’t going to do much. That is why I ask that all of you who disagree with the Bush administration’s actions join me in a letter writing campaign. Realistically, there is not much that we can do, but at some point, our representatives in Congress are going to have to vote on some or all of these issues. At the very least, we can let them know that there are a large number of voters in their constituency who feel strongly about these issues and expect to be represented properly.

So please, take a few minutes and write to: Bill Nelson [D] 517 Hart Senate Office Building. Washington DC 20510 and Bob Graham [D] 524 Hart Senate Office Building. Washington DC 20510. It is time we as students flex our political muscle before it atrophies. I hope you will join me.

Travis Atria is a junior majoring in English literature.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...